Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

praguer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
i just moved to china and need a powerful chinese/english translator. is there one for the iphone that might use the touch feature to recognize chinese characters i see out n about. they sell something like that here but why couldn't my iphone do that?

also, anyone have any experience setting up an unlocked iphone on a chinese mobile network; or any foreign network for that matter.

XenNightz

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2005
i just moved to china and need a powerful chinese/english translator. is there one for the iphone that might use the touch feature to recognize chinese characters i see out n about. they sell something like that here but why couldn't my iphone do that?

also, anyone have any experience setting up an unlocked iphone on a chinese mobile network; or any foreign network for that matter.

Welcome to China, land of fake everything. I can't help you with the program (I've been looking for a good translator as well) but about setting up the phone to work here, just jailbreak it. Then go to anywhere and get a China Mobile number and SIM card.

You probably know how the billing system works here. It's easy. You put money on ur card. When it's out, put more money in.

You'll also probably wanna get China Mobile Internet service as well. You can set the APN to CMNET with the user name and password of "guest" but that **** is mad crazy expensive. So you should get a tao can (package). The 100 rmb per month one gives you 800MB per month. Speaking of which, why haven't they activated mine yet??

So which part of China are you in? If you don't mind my asking.

praguer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
cool. thanks for the info. yeah, i wasnt sure how it works since theres no way to put in the sim card (as far as i know). i actually havent gotten my phone yet but its on its way. so you just program it with the number etc via the software; the sim card doesnt actually go in the phone? sorry if thats an asonine question. anyway, im in beijing.

XenNightz

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2005
cool. thanks for the info. yeah, i wasnt sure how it works since theres no way to put in the sim card (as far as i know). i actually havent gotten my phone yet but its on its way. so you just program it with the number etc via the software; the sim card doesnt actually go in the phone? sorry if thats an asonine question. anyway, im in beijing.

Nah, there's a place for the SIM card in the top. There's a little hole that you stick a toothpick in and a little thing pops out. You put the sim card in there.

So just hit up yi dong (China Mobile) and chose ur number n stuff. Depending on what ur doing here you may wanna pay the extra money for a number with a lot of 0's or 8's (riches). It's only for face though. If you can afford a number like 159 88880000 you'd be cell phone ballin'!

ckungen

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008
(T-Mobile) "No Service" on cloned iPhone?

How can I get cloned iPhone to work using T-mobile sim card in US? It says "No Service". The phone worked in China, had no problem there.

Any advice?

stokerino

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2008
chinese translation app for iPhone

and I am soon moving to Xiamen....along with my non-G3 iPhone which I'm now using in Canada. Don't know what I did wrong but somehow I managed to incur $300 of internet charges even though I hardly used that function at all (but I did use a tiny bit more the wi-fi connection to the net). Today I asked the carrier to turn off the internet on my account (I only have a monthly account, not a contract, due to the fact that I'm moving soon). I wonder how far 800 MB from China Mobile would go?

I too have seen (on a friend's phone in China) a Chinese-English English-Chinese translator that was self-contained on the phone (i.e. no internet required). Hope someone invents a similar app for the iPhone....and soon, please... For a foreigner that is probably the most useful app to have in China on a phone. If I had that -- and of course instant messenger for both languages -- I wouldn't bother/need to get internet for my iPhone.

Any word on iPhone being available in China? Hope I can run into other Mac nuts there....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.