Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I'm looking to get my first mac... just because. I have a pretty powerful gaming PC but I'm planning on moving it to the living room for my home theater and just use my Xbox 360 for games. I only use my current main desktop just to read websites and download movie trailers since PC gaming has taken a back seat for the time being.

I currently have a 3 monitors (24", 22", and a 17") a Dell M1210 laptop (which I'm putting on eBay today), a homemade Windows Home Server (which should work with my new Mac) and an Aopen MiniPC (PC version of Mac Mini... sort of.. which will probably go in my bedroom) so I'm thinking it would be close to pointless to buy an iMac. The Mac Mini seems nice but it's a tad bit underpowered for the price it's at in comparason to the other Macs. The Mac Pro is nice but it seems like overkill since I probably won't

Any ideas or tips? Thanks.

IC3D

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
Fairfield County, CT
I'm looking to get my first mac... just because. I have a pretty powerful gaming PC but I'm planning on moving it to the living room for my home theater and just use my Xbox 360 for games. I only use my current main desktop just to read websites and download movie trailers since PC gaming has taken a back seat for the time being.

I currently have a 3 monitors (24", 22", and a 17") a Dell M1210 laptop (which I'm putting on eBay today), a homemade Windows Home Server (which should work with my new Mac) and an Aopen MiniPC (PC version of Mac Mini... sort of.. which will probably go in my bedroom) so I'm thinking it would be close to pointless to buy an iMac. The Mac Mini seems nice but it's a tad bit underpowered for the price it's at in comparason to the other Macs. The Mac Pro is nice but it seems like overkill since I probably won't

Any ideas or tips? Thanks.
What is your reason for getting a mac?

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
What is your reason for getting a mac?

Well, I've always wanted one but I was one of those "Macs Suck!" kind of guys until recently. I guess I just want to broaden my horizions but more than likely it's looking like I'm going to replace my current laptop with a Mac laptop but it will be my main PC when I'm at home (attached to my 24" monitor).

Does that make sense? :confused:

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
... more than likely it's looking like I'm going to replace my current laptop with a Mac laptop but it will be my main PC when I'm at home (attached to my 24" monitor)....

In your first post you effectively rule out the iMac, MacMini, and MacPro. That leaves the laptops, which it sounds like you need/want anyway.

If it's for the same uses you described earlier (email, surfing, movie trailers), the MacBook will suit you fine. Especially if you conned it to one of your externals. To take full advantage, an MBP would also work, though I expect it's too powerful for your needs. However, if you ever want to try Mac gaming, then the MBP is you're only portable option. Does that help?

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
In your first post you effectively rule out the iMac, MacMini, and MacPro. That leaves the laptops, which it sounds like you need/want anyway.

If it's for the same uses you described earlier (email, surfing, movie trailers), the MacBook will suit you fine. Especially if you conned it to one of your externals. To take full advantage, an MBP would also work, though I expect it's too powerful for your needs. However, if you ever want to try Mac gaming, then the MBP is you're only portable option. Does that help?

I guess I kinda answered my own question but this does help a lot. Thanks. I really like the portability aspect of the Macbook but I really want the graphical horsepower of the MBP. I'm leaning towards the MBP but I'm afraid it may be too big (still weighs the same as my 12" Dell though).

Pees330

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
I think the MB or MBP will work out fine for you. I just got my new MBP and it is a great machine. I love having the bigger screen and dedicated graphics card that is great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.