Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmlloyd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
hi, I am trying to change some folder icons in Leopard.

According the Helpfile, you can just past an image once you open the icon information window and click on the folder image at the top of the info window.

I have tried this and the 'paste' function is always greyed out in the edit menu.

Also, if I drag 'n' drop an image onto the folder image it does change, but the preview does not change.

Does anyone know if there are certain permissions/preferences you have to change before you are able to change icons in leopard?

ps: sorry if this question has been asked before, I searched the forums for 10 mins and couldnt find anything similar.

Thanks
Ryan

greenskye

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
You're more than welcome to try Candybar, I use it to change mine, however it does cost money.

If you don't want to do that you can change the icons. Follow these steps:
1. Open the "Get info" window. (cmd + i)
2. In the upper left corner of the window there should be a tiny version of the icon.
3. Click on it. You should see sort of a faint blue outline.
4. Make sure you have copied the icon you want to use. (cmd + c)
5. Use cmd + v to paste your image over the icon. It should change. To delete it later, just select again (step 3), and press the delete key.
6. If it doesn't recognize it right away try logging out and then back in. At most try a restart.

d1rtyb1rd

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
Change ANY Icon

LiteIcon and Candybar are really good programs. LiteIcon is freeware and can change a lot of default system icons. Candybar can do the same but can also change icons of applications and is trialware.
However, to do this by yourself easily and FOR FREE, I found this thorough guide at http://diplomac.co.cc/ titled "Customize Those Tricky Icons!" It works and even let me change icons that CandyBar and LiteIcon didn't have an option to change! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.