Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Mar 3, 2008, 01:27 PM   #1
honeycrisp
macrumors regular

Time Machine Warning: Email Does Not Get Backed Up!

So I just purchased a new MBP, and used Time Machine to bring over all my files from my MacBook. Except Time Machine does something really dumb.

It backs up the actual Mailboxes you store on your mac, but not the contents of the folders.

So on my new MBP I had all my old mailboxes in Mail.app, but no emails in them. Why is this? Seems like an important thing to backup.
honeycrisp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Sky Blue

If your email is stored on the server and not your Mac, then it wouldn't back them up.
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 01:29 PM   #3
robbieduncan

Are you sure that the contents of the mailboxes was actually downloaded to your Mac. Mail left on the server will never be backed up by a local backup solution.
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 01:31 PM   #4
honeycrisp
macrumors regular

Let me clarify. On my old machine I created new mailboxes, and choosed "On my Mac" as the location.

On the new machine, the mailboxes are there, but no email inside...
Old Mar 3, 2008, 02:11 PM   #5
DerekS
macrumors regular

Strange, because I have 3 years of email in a folder "On My Mac" and TM restored it just fine when I got my new Mac Pro.

I think you're mistaken.
DerekS is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 02:32 PM   #6
kkat69
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
Strange, because I have 3 years of email in a folder "On My Mac" and TM restored it just fine when I got my new Mac Pro.

I think you're mistaken.
I did a restore about a month ago and my "local" mail was in fact restored. Server mail was not and was initially empty until I connected then it populated.

Double check your settings on your mail and make SURE it's not stored remotely. TM doesn't really exclude much. It's not like BackUp3 from .Mac where you have to tell it what to do. It's supposed to be a full HD backup.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 02:52 PM   #7
honeycrisp
macrumors regular

Well, I guess I was partially mistaken. I found them on my HD, but they are still not showing up properly in Mail.app. So I still have the messages, just not in the app yet. Working on switching them over. Strange that it did not do this...
Old Mar 28, 2008, 09:41 AM   #8
darthraige
macrumors 68000

This is all interesting. I just deleted some emails yesterday and I need one of them back. I am gonna attempt Time Machine when I get home to see what I can find. Hopefully it will work.

16GB iPad Mini Retina
darthraige is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 09:35 AM   #9
fullstop102
macrumors member

Solution

Hi. I just experienced this too and so googled it and found this forum. The answer is to rebuild each of the folders after you open up the mail client. IT will then synchronise everything back into order.

Hope that helps you!
fullstop102 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 08:54 AM   #10
pranavsaraf
macrumors newbie

cant find this Time Machine on my mail ?

firstly i cant find time machine on the mail app ...
I had accidently checked on "remove copy from server after retreiving mail" option in preferences in the mail application on my mac book pro ...
and almost all my old mails are deleted from my hotmail account ...
in my office im using a windows desktop and dont really use my back book there to send mails .... i need to retrieve my mails on my hotmail account in the server ... how can i do that ? please help !!
pranavsaraf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:29 PM   #11
CinemaChick
macrumors newbie

Finally, an actual answer to this question!

I just answered this on a different thread, but it is the same question. Rebuilding does nothing for the folders you previously had "On My Mac". Here is the link to the other thread for how to fix this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...6#post18262586
CinemaChick is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X