Airport Extreme - External HDD Format - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Mar 3, 2008, 03:32 PM   #1
PhotoBill
macrumors newbie

Airport Extreme - External HDD Format

I'm wondering what the best file format would be for an external HDD connected to the Airport Extreme...I have a mixed environment some Apple machines, and a few Windows machines, and I'd like all of them to be able to access all of the data on the drive.

Advice....

Thanks,
Bill

MacBook Pro 2.6Ghz/4GB/200HDD
MacBook 2.2Ghz/4GB/120HDD

The switch is complete, no more Windows for me
PhotoBill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 09:01 AM   #2
JimmyDThing
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoBill View Post
I'm wondering what the best file format would be for an external HDD connected to the Airport Extreme...I have a mixed environment some Apple machines, and a few Windows machines, and I'd like all of them to be able to access all of the data on the drive.

Advice....

Thanks,
Bill
It doesn't matter for the AEBS. You have to pick what's best for you. Here are the most popular choices:

FAT32 - Will have full access from both Mac and PC, but have to deal with 4GB filesize limit.
NTFS - Will have full access from PC and read only from Mac... though I'm sure there are some third party apps out there that will allow you to write to NTFS from your Mac.
HFS+ - Will have full access from Mac but your PC will not have a clue what to do with it unless you have a third party app such as MacDrive.

I suggest HFS+ Journaled... it's what I use along with MacDrive on my PC's. HFS+ is just a superior file system to NTFS, and I hate FAT32. It's all really personal preference.
JimmyDThing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Mindflux
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDThing View Post

NTFS - Will have full access from PC and read only from Mac... though I'm sure there are some third party apps out there that will allow you to write to NTFS from your Mac.

The AEBS won't support NTFS period.
Mindflux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:39 AM   #4
JimmyDThing
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
The AEBS won't support NTFS period.
Huh... I didn't realize this. NTFS was going to be a last resort so I never really even looked into it. Thanks for correcting me!
JimmyDThing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:35 AM   #5
jeremy.king
macrumors 603

nvm...was talking about TC
jeremy.king is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 02:05 PM   #6
fwd-bwd
macrumors newbie

There is no need to use the antiquated FAT32. You CAN share a HFS+ drive with PCs with no problem. Because Airport Extreme in this case is a actually a file server (a NAS - network-attached storage), not a physical disk that connects to your PC. See my post here for a longer discussion.
fwd-bwd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals