Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
I got my Macbook just over 2 weeks ago, before the upgrade. I don't really care about the upgrade because I don't need the extra 100 MHz or 40GB of space as I upgraded my HDD myself anyway.

However, I noticed a few days after I bought my Macbook, (not refurb), that there was a physical scratch on the screen. You can see it almost all the time, although it is small. I had a reservation at the Genius Bar for something else a few days ago and I asked them to look at it briefly and he confirmed it was definitely some kind of scratch but it's not covered under AppleCare so I have to deal with it.

Is this entirely true? I baby my Macbook like crazy and definitely did not scratch it. Any advice or ideas on what I could do? Should I go back there and throw a fit?

scotty56

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Oregon
Did any of your friends or coworkers use it when you were not around? You'd be surprised how often things like this happen. No one wants to fess up to scratching a machine worth over a grand...

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
Does the scratch line up with the space bar by any chance? Unfortunately, keys on the keyboard can scratch the screen. There are cloths that you lay over the keyboard to protect the screen.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I've gone through the exact same situation with Apple...

I got my Macbook just over 2 weeks ago, before the upgrade. I don't really care about the upgrade because I don't need the extra 100 MHz or 40GB of space as I upgraded my HDD myself anyway.

However, I noticed a few days after I bought my Macbook, (not refurb), that there was a physical scratch on the screen. You can see it almost all the time, although it is small. I had a reservation at the Genius Bar for something else a few days ago and I asked them to look at it briefly and he confirmed it was definitely some kind of scratch but it's not covered under AppleCare so I have to deal with it.

Is this entirely true? I baby my Macbook like crazy and definitely did not scratch it. Any advice or ideas on what I could do? Should I go back there and throw a fit?

for the past five months. DON'T THROW A FIT! Three weeks after my purchase of a new MacBook 2.16, I noticed "minute" scratches where the spacebar lines up with the screen. I went to the Apple store and they said the scratches were "cosmetic" and didn't effect the overall operation of the computer, so I walked away with my tail between my legs. Several months later I decided to address the issue once again, since I wanted to sell it and buy a new MacBook Air, this time they said "we can replace the screen for $600 and it only takes a couple of days!" I said "as you can tell by the appearance of my MacBook, I keep it in great shape, with the exception of these "cosmetic" scratches that developed three weeks after I bought it." The two genius' said yeah, man this is one of the most immaculate looking MacBooks I've ever seen. So, I threw the analogy back at them, "so, you're telling me that my MacBook of August '07, is now worth $700 v. $1300, unless I get the $600 plus tax screen replacement for damage caused by normal wear and tear, and that is my only recourse for something that was indicated three weeks after I bought the computer?" Uhh, well yes sir! I said this is something that should be addressed with a RECALL and an exchange or free replacement screens to all that fall into this category! They said "how about if we knock off $150?" I said I can't afford even that avenue of resolution. So, I walked out again without resolving the issue. I filled out the customer service questionnaire that they sent me the next day and shared with them how dissatisfied I was and that I've been shopping in that Apple Store since the day they opened! A couple days later, I received a call from the Store Manager and I was invited to a "Shopping Spree" with the Store Manager and I picked out a MacBook with certain specs and the Manager went to the back and came back out and said "I can't deliver the White MB with those specs today, so I'm going to give you the BlackBook with those specs and it's an exchange straight across, how's that?" I said "is that do-able?" The Manager said it's do-able, and shook my hand and gave me a high-five! Maybe I should have held out for the MacBook Air w/external HD! Anyway, you have a legitimate complaint and it is probably something that should be addressed via RECALL, so don't give up, continue to pursue it and give me a PM, for further details. Good Luck! :p

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
From the looks of it, I'm SOL.

No one else has used my Macbook. I am very protective over my expensive "toys". Any time I'm not using it, it's in my bag.

As for the SFS's comment, I'm dead in the water there too. The scratch is on the right side of the screen about 2 inches from the top. Not only is not near the spacebar, I don't think it's near any keys. It seems to be just under the arrow keys when it's closed, along the flat surface next to the trackpad.

It looks like I'm just going to deal with it. Although, there are other minute flaws I have noticed, and understand this is not from abuse as I stated earlier, I baby my Macbook.

Tell me if any of you have any of these issues also, please. There is some kind of "dirt" or something near the arrow keys along the right of the keyboard just before it lips up. I can't seem to get it clean no matter what I do. Also, my "Z" key has some marks on it. I have no causes I can think of for these little annoyances. I can live with them if I must, but it upsets me to have my first real Apple product, other than an iPod, have so many flaws after less than a month.

blackfalcon

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2008
Yeh i had a similar problem

Know no really and active thread anymore..

But yeah had a similar problem, had a horizontal scratch caused by the spacebar and mac replaced the screen cover (as in the plastic over the LCD that is on them all) for free.

But now the scratch is back so was sort of pointless, i might get it repaired again and then get a plastic screen cover for the screen.

Fauldzy

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2004
Dartford, Kent, UK
We should start a brand new thread called "what scars does your 'brand new' Apple product bear?"

Please see https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/639098/

Out the box my MBP unibody had a chip out the the corner of the alu above the battery light indicator, a few very light scratches on the glossy screen and (no biggy) a trapped spec of dust.

attachment.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.