Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sowillo14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2007
Alright. Here is the assignment for my internship. Come up with some snappy icons for a real estate site. The previous icons were crap, and had nothing to do with the theme. They are supposed to have a dark blue and pink color scheme.(It is an all female RE team);)
This one will be for the "relocate" option...
Picture8.png

Picture9.png

This one is for "buying and selling...
Picture3.png

Picture4.png

And finally, this one is "education"...
Picture5-1.png

Picture7.png

What do ya think? Gold or coal? Keep in mind they will be about the size of dock icons.: )

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
they look pretty good. I think they could use some over all finishing, like they aren't quite right. Try to stay away from such harsh gradients. They cheapen the look. Also go a little more towards the illusion of realism, instead of true realism. And 1 more thing...the perspective on the needle in the compass is really off. Like almost completely backwards from what it should be. Looking good though. Keep up the good work.

-JE

sowillo14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2007
they look pretty good. I think they could use some over all finishing, like they aren't quite right. Try to stay away from such harsh gradients. They cheapen the look. Also go a little more towards the illusion of realism, instead of true realism. And 1 more thing...the perspective on the needle in the compass is really off. Like almost completely backwards from what it should be. Looking good though. Keep up the good work.

-JE

Thanks for the critique! Where are the harsh gradients? Also the needle from a top view would be diamond shaped, so I think my perspective is accurate. Let me know, and thanks again.
The needle would look like this from the top...hence the drop shadow
Picture10.png

(edit) nevermind, the gradients on the register need to be toned down.:) Where the hell would I be without MR? Thanks again!!

semicharmed

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
New Orleans
The midline of the compass needle should fall on the line that runs between W-E on the compass; right now it's running the opposite direction.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
The compass is the strongest of the three. The "feel" that it gives is something that the others lack; it's kind of hard to explain. Maybe I just like the style it was done in more than the other two.

The register is way too complicated at the size I keep my dock icons (approximately 36x36). Nice work on all of them, though. Great job.

For the record, I also thought the perspective on the compass needle was off. Sometimes, reality is less important than "perceived reality," if that makes any sense.

ezkimo

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
The needle on the compass does look off. Also, I would prefer the "dark blue" to be little less purple. I'd make the contrast less on the gradients.

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
ok well i'm going to go through each of these now:

compass:
the needle is off. If you are intending for it to look 3D like it's raised in the middle, then we should still see the other side some and the bisecting line would still be off. I personally would keep it flat so the bisecting line would run between the "w" and the "e". Also, why so many strokes? The book has no strokes, the register has a few, and the compass has a bunch. I would lose them all. Make a bigger contrast in color between things and the stokes won't be necessary. and i think the Blue looks purple.

register:
This is my least favorite. Your drawing is good, but you need to reel it in some. #1 thing i would say is to lose the strokes around the keys and the pink thing. Also, pay attention to your lighting...everything is accurate except the pink thing. It has no lighting what so ever. ALso, on the blue part, it looks as if you've made your gradient in Illustrator with grayscale black to rgb blue. THat causes a lot of muddyness in the middle. Try rgb black to rgb blue, or if you really want to make it look sophisticated, use a darker blue instead. Also, there are no shadows from the keys (which is probably alright), but i really think there should be some subtle shadows to them. Also i think there should be fewer keys. As an icon it will look better if there are fewer on there.

book:
this is my favorite one. Ad some lighting to the book mark, and call it a day. (edit:) the book is also a little purple.

hope that helped, and i would've written all this originally, but i was looking at it all on my phone and just typed from my gut at the time.

-JE

tsd

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
Pennsylvania
Yeah, you probably need a flatter compass needle so we can see more of the 3D nature of it. It definitely looks like bad perspective as it is now. Also, could you increase the size of the "W" a little bit? I think it would help differentiate it perspective-wise from the "E".

sowillo14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2007
YES!! I fixed everthing...I hope! We'll see !! Thanks for the feedback. I can't get nothing by you guys!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.