Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

degrate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
This is my first post after being a viewer for a long time. I wanted to share my setup so I can save others some time researching. I wanted to accomplish the following: Play and control my music using the stereo and answer/place calls using bluetooth (also have my address book available on the stereo).

I bought the following:
Stereo Alpine ida-x100
Bluetooth module - Alpine KCE-300BT

After dealing with the GSM buzz while using a FM transmitter, I am happy that after the first two days of using this stereo I have not experienced any buzz. (I'm using the cable that came with the stereo) The ida-x100 does not have a cd player - it is made for the ipod and it can also play music from a usb stick. Alpine's ipod integration is really good. On this model searching through large playlists is fast and it even displays the album artwork from the iPhone - which is a nice touch. The bluetooth module works as expected and you can receive/place calls from the head unit (music will fade in/out as needed.) It will pull in your address book from the iPhone which is very nice. (I couldn't find another bluetooth mod that could. Alpine's compatibility matrix lists the features supported with the iPhone. I'm still asked if i want to turn on airplane mode but i just select no - once again, no buzz.

Overall I am extremely happy with it so far. I hope this can help anyone else looking for a great car/iPhone experience.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I have been thinking about this one. But I can't get my head around no CD player.

rckstwrz

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
dang, that setup looks pretty sweet, but DANG! that's a lot of money to drop on this kit! i'm sure it's totally worth it, but i couldn't afford that. did you come across any less expensive solutions?

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
Has anyone tried this product?

http://www.marketworks.com/storefro...Detail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=129610&c=0&i=241375331

It looks like a canadian store- but that price is tough to beat, if the thing actually works.

I watched the video and it sort of had me hooked until he received an incoming call and said "don't mind the feedback" from when he was talking and it came through the speakers. How is one suppose to have a conversation when you hear yourself on the speakers? Unless I'm missing something...

SCOLLAND

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2008
I watched the video and it sort of had me hooked until he received an incoming call and said "don't mind the feedback" from when he was talking and it came through the speakers. How is one suppose to have a conversation when you hear yourself on the speakers? Unless I'm missing something...

Oh c'mon, you're kidding right?

The feedback is because he is making the call from a phone that is within microphone pick-up distance of the iphone i.e. he talks into the second phone, the car speakers play it, the second phone picks it up and re transmits it, the car speakers play it, the second phone picks it up and re-transmits it... I could go on all day!

Anyway, suffice it to say that as long as the person phoning you isn't in the car with you, you won't have a feedback problem!

lol!

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
Oh c'mon, you're kidding right?

Anyway, suffice it to say that as long as the person phoning you isn't in the car with you, you won't have a feedback problem!

That's what I thought too but he clearly says he'll call his iPhone from a LANDLINE. Doesn't matter anyway as I ordered one last night.

SCOLLAND

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2008
That's what I thought too but he clearly says he'll call his iPhone from a LANDLINE. Doesn't matter anyway as I ordered one last night.

I would suggest he was using a cordless handset (does anyone have wired phones anymore?) - you can sort of hear him dialing in the background.:D

Let me know how you get on with it, i'd be really interested!

Cheers

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
I would suggest he was using a cordless handset (does anyone have wired phones anymore?) - you can sort of hear him dialing in the background.:D

Let me know how you get on with it, i'd be really interested!

Will do, but it will have to wait until July. I don't have an iPhone at the moment and am waiting for the 3G. Just prepping for July 11. :)

SCOLLAND

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2008
Will do, but it will have to wait until July. I don't have an iPhone at the moment and am waiting for the 3G. Just prepping for July 11. :)

lol. Ditto!

Ideally, I am looking for a fully built in solution much like the nokia car kits where you fit a cradle, plug it to the back of your stereo etc. That way it:
Cannot be stolen as easily (the cradle not the phone)
Has perfect sound quality (bass sounds terrible through FM + in the UK it's almost impossible to find a frequency that is always empty i.e. local radio stations)
Charges the phone
Uses a dedicated fitted microphone
etc.

If anyone finds such a solution, please let me know!

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
Has perfect sound quality (bass sounds terrible through FM + in the UK it's almost impossible to find a frequency that is always empty i.e. local radio stations)

Well I have a mini (1/8") input on my stereo so right now I just plug my iPod into that and forego the FM transmitter. Like you I can't get very good reception here in Chicago. My hope is I can bypass the FM transmitter in this unit and just plug the audio from the iPhone directly into the stereo with the mini plug that comes with the unit.

SCOLLAND

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2008
Well I have a mini (1/8") input on my stereo so right now I just plug my iPod into that and forego the FM transmitter. Like you I can't get very good reception here in Chicago. My hope is I can bypass the FM transmitter in this unit and just plug the audio from the iPhone directly into the stereo with the mini plug that comes with the unit.

I had thought about this, but three problems:
1. Newer cars (including mine) are straying from standard sized stereos in favour of their own individual size and shape with steering wheel controls etc. This means that replacing it with another stereo is not an ideal solution.
2. The 1/8" input does not allow any way of connecting a microphone.
3. Does not charge your phone (without an untidy wire running from your cigarette lighter)

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
I had thought about this, but three problems:
1. Newer cars (including mine) are straying from standard sized stereos in favour of their own individual size and shape with steering wheel controls etc. This means that replacing it with another stereo is not an ideal solution.
2. The 1/8" input does not allow any way of connecting a microphone.
3. Does not charge your phone (without an untidy wire running from your cigarette lighter)

I thought we were talking about the car integration unit (for lack of a better term) at http://www.marketworks.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=129610&c=0&i=241375331? The iPhone sits in that allowing it to charge but instead of connecting the mini cable from the iPhone to the car integration unit I would just connect it to the mini on the stereo thereby passing the FM transmitter.

As for the microphone I ordered a Bluetooth headset so the microphone shouldn't be an issue at that point, unless you're sticking with the default headset/microphone from Apple.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
I'm buying this right now.

Having a car that must use a wireless FM transmitter, this looks like a no brainer. I'll report my findings, but watching the video on the site, this looks absolutely perfect for my needs.

gadgetdad

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
On my iPhone
I'm buying this right now.

Having a car that must use a wireless FM transmitter, this looks like a no brainer. I'll report my findings, but watching the video on the site, this looks absolutely perfect for my needs.

I just got mine, its faboulous! The sound from the FM transmitter is the best I have heard. Good Highs, good bass. I really like the fact that the music volume decreases when I get a call. And for 29 bucks, its a steal!

jblodgett

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2005
I just got mine, its faboulous! The sound from the FM transmitter is the best I have heard. Good Highs, good bass. I really like the fact that the music volume decreases when I get a call. And for 29 bucks, its a steal!

I have this too, and it does work well, except for two things.

#1-- no landscape mode. No pivoting the iPhone to do coverflow or watch movies or anything.

#2-- it beeps. I don't know why, but it does. And the beeping varies. Sometimes it is every 90 seconds, sometimes every five minutes. But it beeps.

machdisk

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
iphone/ipod touch car stand, iNEE

introduce my iphone/ipod touch car stand called iNEE~~~

48741617783fd

4874157d35270

487471474fb28

lukenorris

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
Still with everything going on, there is no "real" advancement in iphone in your car. I guess until apple lets bluetooth go with the car, or the iphone gets airtunes over wifi. It won't be happening. Why doesn't Eclipse or Kenwood make a dock for the iphone and make the iphone the head unit instead of you controlling the iphone through the head unit? I think the iphone would be a sweet head unit/GPS in its self. If only you could get to to play nicely without a FM adapter in your car!

xavpil

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
nothing for the car, out there

Still with everything going on, there is no "real" advancement in iphone in your car.

I agree. It's been a year and nothing affordable and well thought out never came on the market. I just don't get it.

This Canadian device seems ok, but it's more like someone like me put it together in his garage. I'll get it because I don't have a choice.

xavpil

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Microphone?

Do we need a mic for the phone conversations?
I've missed something..... I got the radio FM thing, the incoming voice through the speakers, but where do we speak? WHere's the mic?

Bazzboa

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2007
Do not buy this!!!!

I bought one of these of ebay.

It worked OK but the connection into the iphone did sit properly when the phone was on the cradle.

But most annoying was the bleeping noise it made every 45 seconds.

When I called the seller, he said a number had been returned to him because of this issue. It is not something you could get used to so I returned it for a refund. I was really disappointed because it seems to be an ideal solution particularly the ability to hear incoming calls thorough the radio.

Ah well, continue looking . . . .

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
direct is the only way...

For my Acura TL, I installed the Peripheral Electronics iPod2Car PXDP Interface Kit (Honda version) and it was great for the iPhone for both excellent sound quality and charging.

But now with the 3G, it plays great but does not power the unit. I'm going to ask them if there is a setting that can be changed on it. I'm hoping that it can still power the new iPhone. They claim 3G integration.

http://www.theistore.com/peripheral...nterface_kit?gclid=CKfmu7-1vZQCFQbJsgodWHgxTw

TechIsCool

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
DSC_5064.jpg

You have to love apple getting rid of the 12v Firewire charging from the new iphone 3G

So what is the fastest solution for fixing this with the parts i had on had since i did not want to pay 100$ for a new fm Transmitter well i had an FM Modulator laying around and well see for your self :)

DSC_5068.jpg

DSC_5070.jpg

It all works very little noise from the phone and works well just wish i had the time to install the correct ipod controller for it vs doing this but hey it works and it was what i had laying around and most likely it would still not charge the phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.