Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 3, 2008, 11:11 PM   #1
Domenic182
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
iPod Touch won't turn on

I downgraded it to 1.1.1 and from there it started freezing and restarting and all sorts of bad stuff.
Then I upgraded it back to 1.1.4 and it kept doing it. And now it shut off and I haven't been able to turn it on.
It's not the battery because it was full.
Domenic182 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 11:32 PM   #2
vegas-steven
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic182 View Post
I downgraded it to 1.1.1 and from there it started freezing and restarting and all sorts of bad stuff.
Then I upgraded it back to 1.1.4 and it kept doing it. And now it shut off and I haven't been able to turn it on.
It's not the battery because it was full.
try and do this:

1. start itunes.

2. plug the ipod into your computer

3. hold the power (on top) and home (on front) buttons for a few seconds.

the ipod should power up, and if if is screwed up, will be in recovery mode... from there itunes will tell you that it finds your ipod in that mode, and needs to restore it.

just click restore, sit back and it should work again.

did you hack it at all?

if you did not hack it, and that doesnt work, call applecare and see what they say. maybe it is faulty?

still, from my experience with my friends ipod that i made 100% unusable, there is a way to restore even the most broken ipod as long as it has a battery charge.
i suspect a small portion of the memory is dedicated to keeping emergency boot files that allowe you to restore, no matter how bad things get.
vegas-steven is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 11:52 PM   #3
Domenic182
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas-steven View Post
try and do this:

1. start itunes.

2. plug the ipod into your computer

3. hold the power (on top) and home (on front) buttons for a few seconds.

the ipod should power up, and if if is screwed up, will be in recovery mode... from there itunes will tell you that it finds your ipod in that mode, and needs to restore it.

just click restore, sit back and it should work again.

did you hack it at all?

if you did not hack it, and that doesnt work, call applecare and see what they say. maybe it is faulty?

still, from my experience with my friends ipod that i made 100% unusable, there is a way to restore even the most broken ipod as long as it has a battery charge.
i suspect a small portion of the memory is dedicated to keeping emergency boot files that allowe you to restore, no matter how bad things get.
That worked, but it's still freezing and restarting a lot. What do I do?
Domenic182 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:10 AM   #4
gothamm
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic182 View Post
That worked, but it's still freezing and restarting a lot. What do I do?
restore it via itunes
gothamm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Minority21
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Restoring won't do anything. It will continue restarting and doing stupid stuff. This exact same thing happened to me.


MY SOLUTION: I basically let it sit for a while (a couple of days without touching it). On the third day, I turned it on, and voila, no problems. It turned on, and didn't restart. I was able to turn it off and it stayed off. I think it may have been something in the ROM that was causing this problem, possibly if you are installing too many programs through installer if your ipod is jailbroken, but who knows. Try it out and good luck.
Minority21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 06:21 AM   #6
JAT
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
I would hazard a guess that if you have restored properly (NOT updated) and it still exhibits problems like this that there is a hardware fault. Possibly in the power area. If it works after sitting a couple days, that would seem to corroborate my theory. I don't see why the memory would be affected by a rest. But battery and other power circuits could be.

I'd use it a lot to see if this comes back. All Touches are still under warranty. If this shows up again, bring it in for replacement.
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 12:42 AM   #7
Domenic182
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Apple gave me a new iPod no questions asked haha. Weird!
Domenic182 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 02:06 PM   #8
Lil-Don
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
My iPod will not turn on either.

Hi, I think I am going through the same problem as the one above. Ive tried all of the steps that people have suggested, but none have worked.

When I plugged in my iPod Touch v.1 into my PC and turned on iTunes. It did not find my iPod. I held in the power and home button for about 5 -10 seconds, but still nothing happened.

If anyone has or is going/been through this, please, just post what you did to resolve it. If there is not a solution, I will send it away to Apple Repair and Inspection Centre, to see what they can do.

Please Help!

------------------------------
Lil-Don is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 03:13 PM   #9
BryanSanDiego
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Murrieta, CA
Send a message via MSN to BryanSanDiego Send a message via Yahoo to BryanSanDiego
Dfu Mode

you might be stuck in a DFU mode or just looped try the following a few times to see if this helps. Since you are using a PC and you might have other conditions try the following steps if this does not work PM and I will set up a web session and try to help you face to face.

Thank you,
Bryan Simonson
SemiQuasi.com



Hold the power and home buttons down (the iPod will power off after 10 seconds, but keep holding those buttons down)
After the iPod powers off, release the power button (but keep holding the home button down)
After a couple more seconds, you should hear that magical “ding dong” that means the iPod is coming back alive, and that Windows has detected it. You may even see a little “New hardware” popup in Windows. It is now safe to release the home button, and your iPod is in DFU mode.
Now iTunes will see it as a DFU mode iPod and should ask you to automatically restore its firmware.
BryanSanDiego is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:29 PM   #10
TheCuban
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Thumbs up Hello Steven, It works perfectly

This solution was fenomenal, no matter how bad things , after It was almost imposible to wake up my ipod again, trying diferents methods and research for the solution, It restarted , not in recovery mode I think, ITunes copied again only the music, it syncs perfectly.

Felipe R Valera

Thank you Steven


Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas-steven View Post
try and do this:

1. start itunes.

2. plug the ipod into your computer

3. hold the power (on top) and home (on front) buttons for a few seconds.

the ipod should power up, and if if is screwed up, will be in recovery mode... from there itunes will tell you that it finds your ipod in that mode, and needs to restore it.

just click restore, sit back and it should work again.

did you hack it at all?

if you did not hack it, and that doesnt work, call applecare and see what they say. maybe it is faulty?

still, from my experience with my friends ipod that i made 100% unusable, there is a way to restore even the most broken ipod as long as it has a battery charge.
i suspect a small portion of the memory is dedicated to keeping emergency boot files that allowe you to restore, no matter how bad things get.

Last edited by TheCuban; Jun 12, 2009 at 11:38 PM.
TheCuban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:11 AM   #11
iPod Hacker
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
My jailbroken iPod Touch WON'T TURN ON!!!

Please I need help! I recently jailbroke my iPod Touch and I had to turn it off for something to work. Then I tried turning it back on but my computer said that it wouldn't recognize the device. I also tried putting it into recovery mode, but it still said it couldn't recognize the device! The next thing I'm going to do is wait for a few days and try again. My iPod Touch is a second generation. (And yes, it is possible now to jaibreak an iPod Touch 2G.) PLEASE HELP! I will check this thread every day. Also please email me if you have a solution at Fessler.Chris@gmail.com. THANKS!
iPod Hacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 05:54 PM   #12
TheCuban
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Try This

Hello my friend:

First you need to know that jailbreaking you ipod or unlocking a phone can cause malfunction sometimes, in this case, you ipod :

1.Can slow down your device and decrease battery charge quicker.

2.Buttons not working or flashing screen.

3.Can cause other problems also.

What error message exactly you are viewing when you conect your ipod.

if you have set up and email account , can you listen the sound it makes when an email is coming?

ok

Try this, Conect you ipod and hold the power (on top) and home (on front) buttons for a few seconds.

to see if the ipod power up, you will see the apple symbol in the screen, then it asks for password, type it and run itunes.


Good Luck

Felipe R valera
TheCuban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:15 AM   #13
iPod Hacker
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by itouchhacker98 View Post
sign appeard on my ipod!!!heres how it works

1STut ur ipod in dfu mode by holdng the home and power/sleep button for 10 seconds,then just keep holding the home button WHILE PLUGGED INTO UR COMPUTER,and keep it like that till itunes pulls up on ur computer,and press restore,wait for it to rstore,amnd ur ipod works!!!HOPE IT HELPS!!!
itouchhacker98 AND TheCuban helped me! Thanks guys!!!

Last edited by iPod Hacker; Jun 17, 2009 at 11:28 AM.
iPod Hacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 01:31 PM   #14
jamesdean2002uk
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
hi ppl, im new to this....got a problem with ipod touch

it wont do anything !!!

tried going thorough itunes, tried reseting it, tried everything it wont turn on - even after a charge

any ideas please??
jamesdean2002uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 01:31 PM   #15
jmann
macrumors 604
 
jmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: On a bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
Send a message via Skype™ to jmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdean2002uk View Post
hi ppl, im new to this....got a problem with ipod touch

it wont do anything !!!

tried going thorough itunes, tried reseting it, tried everything it wont turn on - even after a charge

any ideas please??
Hold down the power/home buttons until the device turns on.
__________________
Come to my Twitter, it's warm and has chairs.
jmann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 08:10 PM   #16
mytouchisawesom
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Thumbs up The BEST WAY

The same thing happened to me recently. I called apple support and they helped me a lot. Just plug it in to your computer or a wall charger and hold down the home and power button at the same time for 5-10 seconds. Hope this helps you like it helped me.
mytouchisawesom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:22 PM   #17
smg4life01
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
yo

when i switched off my ipod it just went blank and are u sure if u leave it for a few day it would switch back on with the same stuff you had on it


Quote:
Originally Posted by Minority21 View Post
Restoring won't do anything. It will continue restarting and doing stupid stuff. This exact same thing happened to me.


MY SOLUTION: I basically let it sit for a while (a couple of days without touching it). On the third day, I turned it on, and voila, no problems. It turned on, and didn't restart. I was able to turn it off and it stayed off. I think it may have been something in the ROM that was causing this problem, possibly if you are installing too many programs through installer if your ipod is jailbroken, but who knows. Try it out and good luck.
smg4life01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:27 PM   #18
smg4life01
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
yea

yea but was ur ipod jailbroken


Quote:
Originally Posted by mytouchisawesom View Post
The same thing happened to me recently. I called apple support and they helped me a lot. Just plug it in to your computer or a wall charger and hold down the home and power button at the same time for 5-10 seconds. Hope this helps you like it helped me.
smg4life01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:57 PM   #19
sylphina
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
today my itouch stopped working. I was using it, closed it, put it in it's case in my purse. When I went to open it back again, it never did. My battery wasn't down, I didn't crush it or drop it. It was never hacked or altered in any way. I pluged it in my computer, but it doesn't do anything. I tried holding power and pressing home at the same time, but still nothing.

... is it dead forever ?
sylphina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:33 AM   #20
drownboy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
dead Touch 16Gb

My iPod touch was in "erase all content and settings" mode when it went out of battery (i think so because it took more than 2.5 hours to complete but only half of battery was remained) and now it won't turn on no matter how i try. Both Windows and iTunes can not recognize it (even a message of "can not recognize"). Please help me if you know the solution
drownboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:50 PM   #21
muffins600
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
my ipod touch..

same problem. my ipod touch died one day, so i decieded to charge it. when it was charging it turned to the apple symbol then stopped turned off, and did the same thing. i've had it for a year and a month. i have no clue what to do, its been like this for about a month now. please help.
muffins600 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:40 PM   #22
Lewp
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Unhappy Ipod Touch Problems :/

Ok so here's the spill, I had my Ipod touch jailbroken about 5 maybe 6 months ago.

I wanted to return it to stock firmware (btw i'm using blackrain & cydia)
I went into cydia and deleted most of the files hoping it would just be simple and return it to it's original form.

Well life's a bitch and I should of known it wasn't gonna be easy, now it will start up, the apple icon will pop up and then it will cut back off.

it's not dead it just will not cut back on, does anyone here know of anything that I can do to just have it back to stock form?

my email is: Lewpslist@gmail.com

please reply, Thank You!
Lewp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 01:20 PM   #23
itouchhacker98
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewp View Post
Ok so here's the spill, I had my Ipod touch jailbroken about 5 maybe 6 months ago.

I wanted to return it to stock firmware (btw i'm using blackrain & cydia)
I went into cydia and deleted most of the files hoping it would just be simple and return it to it's original form.

Well life's a bitch and I should of known it wasn't gonna be easy, now it will start up, the apple icon will pop up and then it will cut back off.

it's not dead it just will not cut back on, does anyone here know of anything that I can do to just have it back to stock form?

my email is: Lewpslist@gmail.com

please reply, Thank You!
Quote:
Originally Posted by itouchhacker98
sign appeard on my ipod!!!heres how it works

1STput ur ipod in dfu mode by holdng the home and power/sleep button for 10 seconds,then just keep holding the home button WHILE PLUGGED INTO UR COMPUTER,and keep it like that till itunes pulls up on ur computer,and press restore,wait for it to rstore,amnd ur ipod works!!!HOPE IT HELPS!!!
itouchhacker98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 07:13 PM   #24
skweel
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
[QUOTE=vegas-steven;5091559]try and do this:

"1. start itunes.

2. plug the ipod into your computer

3. hold the power (on top) and home (on front) buttons for a few seconds.

the ipod should power up, and if if is screwed up, will be in recovery mode... from there itunes will tell you that it finds your ipod in that mode, and needs to restore it.

just click restore, sit back and it should work again."





That was awesome! It worked perfectly. THanks!
skweel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 01:01 PM   #25
Don2
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I do not understand how a too low battery could kill the bios or what ever. The reason I question this is that when the battery is replaced the IPOD sees zero voltage. Now maybe there is some backup voltage in a capacitor but I have never read about having to be quick about replacing the battery.
Don2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPod touch 4g won't turn on nemuler23 iPod touch 7 Jan 17, 2014 12:21 PM
Touch won't turn off & volume buttons INOP Cogf16 iPod touch 7 Jan 18, 2013 11:13 AM
iPod Touch Won't turn on Erko iPod touch 3 Jan 6, 2013 04:06 PM
iPod touch won't turn thro' 90˚ Bruce59 iPod touch 3 Oct 2, 2012 03:41 PM
iPod touch 4g won't turn on why? chimmy iPod touch 1 Jun 5, 2012 02:03 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC