Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
I got an email from a friend asking if I would be willing to design some gift cards for the dentist office that his wife works at. He wanted to also know what hourly rate or pay to tell them I'd be willing to work for, but I'm not even sure being a student and all. Most jobs around this valley pay students starting out around $8.50-9.50 an hour I'd say. I just don't know what to tell them. Any suggestions?

mikky05v

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2008
I got an email from a friend asking if I would be willing to design some gift cards for the dentist office that his wife works at. He wanted to also know what hourly rate or pay to tell them I'd be willing to work for, but I'm not even sure being a student and all. Most jobs around this valley pay students starting out around $8.50-9.50 an hour I'd say. I just don't know what to tell them. Any suggestions?

I took a design class for two years and my teacher always told us to charge based on the quality we intended to do. So if you are decent at it.. charge 9.00 and I would say think about how difficult it will be for you... if you'll get it done quickly charge more... or possibly by the project not by the hour.... it really depends on how much effort you feel it will take and what you think your ability deserves

WindowsOrMac

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
Well...

Well, it depends on how fast you are and how much you value this client's continued use of your services.

To design a business card I charge $75 total (usually). It takes me about 15 - 35 minutes for the initial design (based on customer input and what I find out about the type of business/industry being advertised on the card). I factor in about 45 minutes for changes after I present 3 different variations to the client (this includes the time I spend talking to the client). If you get lucky, you present the client with the 3 cards and they say, "I want that one." You have then just spent 20 minutes and made $75.

If the client insists on hourly, I charge a flat $50 hour for graphic design. There are many variables in freelance work; how you are perceived by the client (how professional does he/she seem), have you done solid-looking work in the past and how much do you WANT to do the job being asked of you (if you don't want to, charge more), and how fast can you get a quality design out the door so you can continue reading MacRumors forums :)

Good luck, hopefully that jumbled mess of words helps you in some way.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
I just read the above post. $9.00 an hour is very low pay for graphic design.

I agree, but that's about what it starts out at in this valley I'm in. For some reason, the entire pay system seems lower in this valley than the rest of the state. People are tight with their money here. My plan is to get out of here once school is finished with me. :p

mikky05v

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2008

it is very low.. even for a student ..
i was just going on the price stated as average for the area..
I personally would charge 50-150 for the job not by hour..
based on how hard it is and such

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
So when I was thinking in my mind, “how about $100?” I was pretty on track? ;) I'll have to redraw their logo as they can only provide it in .pdf format. That most likely won't take long. Then from there it may take an hour, two at the most to come up with some designed gift cards.

WindowsOrMac

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
Are you in College or High School? I remember making 8.50/hr at a small town ISP when I was in high school, but when I moved over to their graphic/web design side of things they boosted it to 16/hr. I guess in my experience graphic design has always paid quite well.

Well, I'd say charge em' 9.50/hr at least and just get it done as quickly as you can :)

Good luck finishing up school.

i3iz

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2005

While this is true, the guy above you said it best. There are too many variables to just charge a set rate.

Some people like to micromanage, these are the people i charge by the hour.
Some people are hands off and love everything i do, these people i charge by the job.

GD is like the US Gov. There needs to be checks and balances. Think about how long it will take you, and multiply by 2-3 if you have never done it before. Then charge your hourly rate and see if it is motivating for you to do that job. If you aren't motivated then rethink some things, either money or the project itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.