Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:20 AM   #1
mmcxiiad
macrumors regular

Cloning network time machine for offsite backup

We are using an Xserve in our small company. One of the things that i really like about it is the ability to manage (and be the repository) for all of the time machine backups.

The problem that I have with Time Machine is that while is a great backup system with versioning, it makes it difficult for an off-site backup - especially considering the storage space needed for multiple computer backups. What I have decided is to clone my Time Machine drive once a week to a external enclosure that i can keep somewhere else.

Here is our setup:
2.8GHz Quad-Core Xserve
Norco Tek DS-1220
Highpoint Tech RocketRAID 2314
(12) 400GB Hard Drives (These are configured into two 5-drive 1.6TB Raid 5 Arrays & 2 hot-spares)
(2) 750GB hard drives in a FW800 enclosure (stripped as 1.4TB)

Does anyone know of an application that can handle this? I am not sure if this is something that carbon copy cloner or superduper can handle (because you are cloning a drive that has files actively being written to it). Any advice would be great.
mmcxiiad is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking