Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Ok, so i know when you want to put windows on your mac, you can install it to an external firewire drive, or make a partition on your HD. I plan to make a partition on my HD. I will be using windows for FSX, and for download game files, scenery, planes, etc. Now, for any odd reason, i get a virus in windows, and the virus is supposed to deleted everything, it would only distroy that partition of the drive right? it wont effect the mac os x partition right? and if it screws everything up, i can fix it up in disk utility?

So just in case you didnt get my question, would getting a virus in windows on my mac, using bootcamp, will it only affect the partition, and not touch the mac partition?

thank you sooo much.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Most viruses only affect the Windows partition, very few are advanced enough (usually though a Root Kit) to actually destroy the partition table, but I doubt that they can affect your drive, since HFS+ has so many layers to prevent that from happening.

TEG

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Most viruses only affect the Windows partition, very few are advanced enough (usually though a Root Kit) to actually destroy the partition table, but I doubt that they can affect your drive, since HFS+ has so many layers to prevent that from happening.

TEG

Ok, thanks, so its unlikely, and im pretty safe to do it?

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
If you have macdrive it complicates things because then the virus has read/write access directly to the other hard drive partition without going through the root of the drive. Viruses that attack the partition table thought ARE out there and will wreak havoc if you get one. Thus, if you have macdrive installed I would be careful (or just don't install macdrive). Stupid windows viruses!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.