Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keith Purfield

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2003
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I was just walking home from the bus stop, listening to my iPod, and all of a sudden it stopped playing the song. (For those who care, Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia, stopped at 1:05).

The iPod was in my pocket, so I guessed I paused it. I took it out, and the hold was still on. So was Play. It wasn't paused, but it stopped working. I tried turning off Hold. It doesn't work. None of the buttons do anything. The screen is stuck on:

PLAY LOCK Playlist Battery (With three blocks)

20 of 37 Shuffle On

The Devil Went Down To
Charlie Daniels Band

1:05 -2:32

It won't change. I plugged it into my iMac (it's still plugged in), and it won't pop up on the desktop (or in iTunes).

I can hear the hard drive when I hold the iPod up to my ear.

Also, it's beginning to get warm.

What the hell's wrong with it? I can't afford to fix it right now (hell, I can't afford anything right now), and I hope that I don't have to fix it.

Thanks in advance,
Keith

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Try holding down the "Play/pause" button and "Menu" button at the same time. Hold it down until it resets. It might take acouple of seconds but keep holding it.

If this doesn't work, take it to Apple.

Hope this helps.

~e

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
That's happened to me about twice in the year I've had my iPod, and thankfully the reset worked both times. *crosses fingers*

What's really perplexing me, though, is that sometimes I'll pause the iPod and let it turn itself off to preserve where I am in my currently selected playlist, and then when I turn it back on and un-pause it, the playback will resume significantly farther along in the song than where I left it.

I've yet to be able to get any more detail on this--if there's any pattern to when it happens, if the advance through the song is a consistent amount of time, etc; but it's odd. Can anyone think of an immediately obvious reason I'm overlooking? I'm mostly sure buttons aren't accidentally getting pressed in my pocket.

(and on an interesting note, I was able to adjust the volume with the touch-sensitive wheel through a layer or two of cloth, once--haven't given it a scientific try yet. funky, no?)

aphexist

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
Re: iPod...dead? Help needed (quickly!)!

Originally posted by Keith Purfield
Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia

I think we have found the problem...

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Re: Re: iPod...dead? Help needed (quickly!)!

Originally posted by aphexist
I think we have found the problem...

I love "The Devil Went Down To Georgia". I'm not into his other stuff but that song kicked ass back in the day.

Anyway, my first iPod keep freezing and even would look like it's playing the song but no sound. They kept telling me to reset it using the above mentioned method but one day it just died. I had to return it and they exchanged it without a hassle. Thank God I was within my 10 day exchange period. My current one is works like a charm and have only had to reset it once. I love my damn iPod!

~e

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.