Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
So im going to be going to Japan for a week or so (March 21-30) and im still having doubts if I should take my phone or not.

I dont wanna come back with a $500 phone bill hahaha.

Now, ive done some homework (not a completely clueless post :p)

Roaming is $2.29/minute or $1.69 if you pay for a $5 international plan.

Now for Data, they have some kind of plan where its like $24.99 for 25MB or $55 for 50MB.

Text message is also $.50/txt (for sending or receiving) and $1.30 for picture or video.....<<<yea...

Now, the phone constantly checks for emails and I can just turn that feature off and just check @ Wi-fi hot spots.

Am I missing anything? Anything else people know that I dont know?

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
Now I've not been to Japan myself but I believe that their mobile phone network runs on the UMTS system. This is a 3G network.

As the current iPhone is not 3G I don't think you'll be able to use your iPhone for calls, texts and data.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
It will not work in Japan period. I have been to Japan twice since the iPhone launch. There is no available GSM network in the major cities (Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, Tokyo).

There is no SIM card you can buy that will work.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
It will not work in Japan period. I have been to Japan twice since the iPhone launch. There is no available GSM network in the major cities (Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, Tokyo).

There is no SIM card you can buy that will work.

Well that settles that. Im going to be in Tokyo, Osaka and maybe Chibi.

So if I take it there, I wont be getting hit with any form of roaming because the phone does not work correctly? And so that means, I can just use it as a PDA in Wifi spots correct?

Also, if you dont mind, when you were there, what did you do for a phone? Rent from the airport? if so, what were the costs like or what are other options as ive never been :)

Edit: are you also 100% sure on this fact? Reason I ask is, the AT&T site makes it seem like the iPhone should work there...

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Yes you will get no signal in Japan. ATT probably lists a rate because they sells phones that will work in Japan. One Blackberry model we have at work will work in Japan and the US.

Softbank is a major carrier in Japan. They offer rentals.
http://www.softbank-rental.jp/en/index.php

Looks like you can also rent a phone and just put your SIM in it.
Also note that on Japan cell service, incoming calls are free.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
There is a GSM network in Japan, but it is 3G only. All the 2G has been deactivated. Therefore you must have a 3G phone to roam to Japan.

TEG

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
thank you very much for this information. So just to make sure I understand correctly, then I can just use my Wifi and atleast have access to the web and mail and such and I wont be getting hit with any fee's because there is no signal.

Awesome.

I swear, if they announce a 3G phone the day I leave :mad::mad: lol :D

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
thank you very much for this information. So just to make sure I understand correctly, then I can just use my Wifi and atleast have access to the web and mail and such and I wont be getting hit with any fee's because there is no signal.

Awesome.

I swear, if they announce a 3G phone the day I leave :mad::mad: lol :D

You have to worry about roaming charges as long as you have Data Roaming turned off. (it is by default)

Go to Settings>General>Network to check

It won't matter anyway in Japan because you won't have a signal but just remember for other countries (like Canada).

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
You have to worry about roaming charges as long as you have Data Roaming turned off. (it is by default)

Go to Settings>General>Network to check

It won't matter anyway in Japan because you won't have a signal but just remember for other countries (like Canada).

really appreciate the info man. Helps alot with my planning :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.