Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 4, 2008, 07:44 PM   #1
mesamac
macrumors member

Why can't I play mp4 file on iPhone?

I have few .mp4 movies encoded using Handbrake using AppleTV preset.
I have enough space on iPhone more than 5GB left and I am trying to copy
only 2GB of mp4 file.

When I try to sync using iTunes, iTunes gives error saying iPhone can't play this format. So not able to Sync that file. Not sure what exactly is the format I should give to iPhone? Isn't iPhone support mp4 format?

Can you please help.

Thanks,
mesamac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 07:51 PM   #2
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

The quality/resolution is too high, so the iPhone isn't powerful enough to play it, use iSquint or FFMPEGX to reduce the quality/resolution of the file.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 08:17 PM   #3
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
The bit rate of the file is too high, or it is High Complexity. The iPhone and iPods can only play a 128 bps files that are Low Complexity. The file size will be larger to accomplish this. Just right click on them and select, "Convert for iPod/iPhone" and then the converted ones will work.

TEG

Last edited by TEG; Mar 4, 2008 at 08:39 PM.
TEG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 07:14 AM   #4
funwithamar
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG View Post
The bit rate of the file is too high, or it is High Complexity. The iPhone and iPods can only play a 128 bps files that are Low Complexity. The file size will be larger to accomplish this. Just right click on them and select, "Convert for iPod/iPhone" and then the converted ones will work.

TEG
tried this now the video is completely gone , and a white screen appears, and sound is there.....
funwithamar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:53 AM   #5
Deadman64
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamac View Post
I have few .mp4 movies encoded using Handbrake using AppleTV preset.
I have enough space on iPhone more than 5GB left and I am trying to copy
only 2GB of mp4 file.

When I try to sync using iTunes, iTunes gives error saying iPhone can't play this format. So not able to Sync that file. Not sure what exactly is the format I should give to iPhone? Isn't iPhone support mp4 format?

Can you please help.

Thanks,
Not sure about your exact issue, but handbrake has an iPhone preset that I have used for movies I have. Has worked great.
Deadman64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone