Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:20 PM   #1
ninodorado
macrumors newbie

Powerbook Partitioning Problem

I have a 1.67 15" Powerbook that is partitioned into two drive partitions, one OSX and one UNIX.

My problem is that I want to RESTORE it to a single unpartitioned Mac OS Extended (Journaled) drive. Basically remove the partition. I have my OS install disks but I do not have the restore disks, etc. I own a new iMac and a couple of external FW drives that I think may help me to do this. I have copied the contents of the PB to an external drive using carbon copy cloner but don't know what to do next. Any suggestions??
ninodorado is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 04:47 AM   #2
richard.mac
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
i think youre a bit confusedů Mac OS X has a Unix core so why would you create one partition for OS X and one for Unix? do you mean you installed Linux on the second partition? as Linux also has a Unix core.

first of all you couuld try using Boot Camp Assistant to restore to a single partition. wouuldnt hurt trying.

are your running Leopard? do you have the Leopard install DVD? if so just boot into the install DVD, select Disk Utility, click the hard drive (not the partitions) and partition to a single partition.

this may be successful but you should always backup your Mac OS X partition just in case something goes wrong. you can also use the backup in the next idea. use SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your mac disk to an external drive. in case you come unstuck you can restore the clone back.

if the partitioning didnt work another idea would be to to completely erase your hard drive to a single partition and restore the clone. you can restore using Disk Utility on the install DVD using the restore feature. use the cloned external drive as the "Source" and your main hard drive as the "Destination".

good luclk

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs