Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sirkako

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
The other day I was on a difficult city spot and my wife was going to pick me up, but I coudn't make her understand my directions (ever had that happen?!?!). So I tought, why not SEND her MY location to her iPhone?

So I went into Google Maps on my iPhone, searched and found MY location, dropped a pin on it, Bookmarked it and... NOTHING!

There I had it. A perfect way to "tell" my wife my exact location so she could find me fast, but I had no way of "sending" her that information. No option what-so-ever! I mean, come on! Am I missing something or is there just no function to send a google location by mail / sms / anything! Isn't it just a Lat-Long coordenate? It's a bookmark, for crying out loud!

So... does anyone have an alternative to this. How do I send MY LOCATION (a google maps bookmark) from my iphone to another iPhone?

TIA

salimdao

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2007
Anaheim, CA
Heres a workaround I just tried.

activate locateme.
switch to directions mode.
set a destination to your house or someplace that you know the address to.
when it creates the routes for you, switch to list view.
the green drop pin is your current approximate location.

it may be inaccurate, but its the next best thing.

Carnivor

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
i agree it would be very handy to send the wife a "pin", i mean a google maps pin, nothing dangerous, if only it had the share option like the youtube app so you could email them to other iphone users.

G4R2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2006
There is an alternative to Googlemaps for sharing your approximate location through the iPhone. Helio users have been using Buddy Beacon to do this and it is now available on the iPhone:

http://gizmodo.com/355845/buddy-bea...ook-and-iphone-apps-reaches-multiple-carriers

It seems to track your location as you refresh the webpage and shares that location with others on your list. I haven't tried this service so I can't vouch for its accuracy but am posting the link here for those who might find it useful.

Carnivor

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
i kinda like that, but i couldnt be bothered with updating it manually all the time, and it would be a very selective few that could see my location all the time, if you could set a autoupdate every 15/30/60 mins or something and some sort of buddy list type thing it could well work.

sirkako

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I've been writing about this in another forum and I think the "better" alternative would be to code up some sw that would dig into the maps.app bookmark.plist at </var/mobile/Maps/Bookmarks.plist> for the coordinates and have a "send via sms / email" button in the bookmark screen.

I took a look at this file an noticed the Lat/Long is included, so it should be fairly simple to extract them from there and make "an interactive link" (meaning: clickable), so the location would open in the maps.app

Here's from my post in "the other forum":

------------------------------------------

Have you guys seen:

http://iphonesender.com

It uses this code (javascript):

javascript:d=window.getSelection()+'';d=(d.length= =0)?'null':d;d.replace(%22%3Cbr%20/%3E%22,%20%22%20%22);void(window.open('http://iphonesender.com/prep.php?address='+escape(d),'_blank','')%20);

to create this "interactive link":

http://maps.google.com/?q=40.689278,-74.044633

which WILL open in maps.app as the right location (he above is for Statue of Liberty). All I did was select the coordinates from google maps on the web. I highlighted:

40.689278,-74.044633

and voila!

Sooo....

Maybe someone can modify the above and code it for iphone? I guess using the script to "google code" the corresponding coordinates from the bookmark.plist file properly and the replacing the e-mail server from the php form in iphonesender.com for our own e-mail? Does this make any sense??

Looking good!!!!

-----------------------------

sirkako

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Found this article that shows how you can send your current location to anyone in the world from your iPhone using just the built in apps. Worked perfect when I tried it!

http://www.gomestic.com/Consumer-Information/How-to-Send-a-Map-of-Your-or-Any-Location-to-Someone-Using-an-iPhone.461571

Enjoy

NH

Hehehehe... I guess you read "that other forum" too... :rolleyes:

Here's a copy of my reply on the other site for those that don't come from there...

Code:
Yeah...

Actually, there's a...  better? way of doing this since the 2.2 update. 
When you click the arrow of the dropped pin flag on the maps screen, 
there's a "Share Location" button at the bottom of the screen 
that will create an active map URL, built right into the maps app. 
I guess someone at apple is listening!   ;-)

Cheers!

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
Or you can just drop a pin, then go to details and click on "share location" to email someone your coordinates. It's built right into the 2.2 software.

Funk-O-Meter

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2010
Brilliant! Just found this trick. The method is slightly less then obvious and for some reason the marker it sent was a couple houses down from me but that's close enough.

Great feature.

HeidiZ

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
sending your location

There is an application you can download called zhiing. You can get it on the app store. It allows you to send your location to a phone number or an email address. So if you send a zhiing to your wife she will receive an SMS message saying she has received a zhiing. She then downloads the app directly from the SMS text link and then she will be able to see your location on Google maps. And not only will she be able to see your location, but she will be able to see directions for how to get to you, all using Google maps. I hope this works for you!

hiyel

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2005
As sirkako and SheepNutz explained, built-in maps app does the job very good.
It doesn't make any sense to use third party apps for this purpose.
Just a heads-up, though; you have to have an email already setup in the mail app for the "share location" button appear in the maps app.

alan138

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2010
There is an app called GPSMS: http://www.gpsms.co.uk/

If you're sending to someone who also has the app, it doesn't use an SMS or MMS. It just uses a tiny amount of your data allowance.

If you're sending to someone who doesn't have the app it'll ask you what you want to do and you can send either an SMS or an Email.

You'll get push notifications for new GPSMS messages and can get directions from where you are to any of the locations in your inbox.

When you receive a message it looks like this:

ny.png

mrlignus

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2010
GPS TO SMS is your friend

Check out the iPhone App

GPS TO SMS

It can send email and SMS with your current location.
It contains a link that opens the Maps App on the receivers iPhone.

Its free so its worth a try.
The advantage over similiar apps is that it also works without internet connection (SMS only)

Icon.ashx.png

janbenes

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2010
Use PartyMe

Get PartyMe application for that. You can organize party, invite attendees to your place, can see status whether or not they are coming and more. No registration required, you just get text with URL that you copy over into SMS.

Jan

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
one step further..send directions to someone?!

hi...ok..so, beyond just sending your location to someone...what if you want to SMS or email a friend directions to get somewhere while you are both on the road driving in separate vehicles...and your friend doesnt have Google maps or GPS??

Thanx

bender o

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Just download GPS Me from the AppStore it lets you send by Mail twitter Facebook or SMS your location :)

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
turn-by-turn?

that seems like a cool app (GPSME), but is there an app which would let me send the turn-by-turn directions to someone via email or sms to show them how to get to a particular place?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.