Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stevie T

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Hi Guys,

I just bought a 23" ACD and I'm having trouble getting it to work with my 17" Powerbook. I checked it in the store before buying and it worked fine, but at home it's not responding. The display is recognised in Preferences and is giving me a choice of resolutions, the light is on, but I can't get the screen to show anything. I've tried adjusting the brightness to bring up an image to no avail, turning mirroring on, and closing the lid on the Powerbook then waking it again but nothing gives me an image on the 23". Does anyone have any other suggestions for things to try to get it going?

My Powerbook is a 1GHz 17" with a GeForce4 MX 64 MB.

Thanks for your help.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

try clicking detect displys in the preference panel

Stevie T

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
I have tried clicking detect displays but that makes no difference.

Unfortunately I didn't check it in store on my Powerbook, although I have run other monitors from this Powerbook... A CRT, and a projector previously without any trouble. Would that rule out any problem with my DVI connector?

In store we didn't use this units power adapter, but there's definitely power going to the Display as the light is on and it's being detected by my Powerbook, just no image.

Thanks both for your replies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.