Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Mar 5, 2008, 07:19 AM   #1
GirthP
macrumors regular

XCode 3 and PyObjC or Python help needed

Hello, i'm trying to get a footing in XCode by learning Python. Is PyObjC a good way to go? Or should I be doing straight Python?

Am I missing some obvious tutorials out there on PyObjC for XCode 3, because the tutorials out there do not look like the XCode I have under 10.5.2, and it's to say the least confusing.

I'd like to use Python to get to know the XCode program and environment. But maybe I'm getting in over my head with PyObjC?

Thanks guys!

Work: 8 core 2.8 MP 8GB w/ 2 24" Dell UltraSharps
GirthP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 02:52 PM   #2
szymczyk
macrumors regular

Learn Python before tackling PyObjC. I know you want to get familiar with Xcode, but Xcode isn't great for writing straight Python programs. I recommend using TextWrangler to learn Python because you can easily run and debug Python programs from TextWrangler. I have written instructions on how to set up TextWrangler to write programs in interpreted languages like Python and Ruby that you might find helpful.

After learning Python you can move on to using Xcode to write Cocoa apps using PyObjC.
szymczyk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 07:37 PM   #3
GirthP
macrumors regular

Thank you!

Work: 8 core 2.8 MP 8GB w/ 2 24" Dell UltraSharps
GirthP is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming