Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I've become interested in networked backup solutions, but am not too keen on the whole Time Capsule/integrated hdd solutions and their problems. Unfortunately the AEBS also does not seem to be a viable solution because of all of the issues with AirDisks. Does anybody here use a NAS with their Macs with good success? I don't want to spend a whole lot on a NAS (ReadyNAS is out of the question), but I also don't want junk. RAID 1 would be nice but not a necessity. I would probably use it for backups (SuperDuper and/or Apple Backup) and iTunes sharing, if this helps. I know quite a few NAS devices have a built-in iTunes server.

gdieter

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2007
SoCal
dlink dns-323

I am using a DNS-323 with two 1TB Seagate 32mb cache drives configured in Raid 1. Unpacked, installed drives, updated firmware and formatted. It's been solid so far, although it doesn't seem that speedy, at least over a 100Mbit network (I measured a large transfer at 68Mb/s - maybe I'm just spoiled). I might try a Gbit switch this weekend. I configured the ITunes server and that works fine. Runs just warm to the touch - drives themselves are kind of noisy. I have a mix of Macs and PCs accessing it without problem, including another node downstairs feeding a macbook with a linksys access point. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied and would recommend it.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I am using a DNS-323 with two 1TB Seagate 32mb cache drives configured in Raid 1. Unpacked, installed drives, updated firmware and formatted. It's been solid so far, although it doesn't seem that speedy, at least over a 100Mbit network (I measured a large transfer at 68Mb/s - maybe I'm just spoiled). I might try a Gbit switch this weekend. I configured the ITunes server and that works fine. Runs just warm to the touch - drives themselves are kind of noisy. I have a mix of Macs and PCs accessing it without problem, including another node downstairs feeding a macbook with a linksys access point. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied and would recommend it.
The DNS-323 was one of the first NAS RAID boxes that I came across and it looked interesting, but I didn't think that it supported the AFP protocol. Do you have any problem with filename compatibility? I have heard of issues with copying files that use characters that the Mac allows but that SMB does not allow, and that files would either not get copied or get corrupted. Has this been a problem for you? How did you work around it? Did you just copy over your iTunes music folder to the DNS-323?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.