Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oskiew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I just bought a used ibook g3 700mhz, 640mb ram, 22.5 of 30 gb HD space free. OSX 10.4.11 just installed cleanly. Pretty much everything I do is really slow and I cannot figure out for the life of me why. Simple procedures like opening the applications folder even take a long time. With the features, I would have expected this computer to be a lot faster. Am I wrong?
I also have a g4 tower with basically the same specs and it is MUCH faster.
Anyone who can shed some light on this situation for me is greatly appreciated.
thank you.

LightDemon69

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Levan, Utah
Ya, G3's were originally designed for Cheetah, Puma, and Jaguar. They will run Tiger just fine, but a lot slower than a G4/G5/Intel counterpart. If you have a 700 MHz G3 and a 700 MHz G4, the G4 will go MUCH faster. A G5 with the same specs as a G4 will go MUCH faster. An Intel with the same specs as a G5..... you guessed it: it will go MUCH faster. That's why they constantly put out new processors: the new ones are always better than the old ones.

oskiew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
Would I notice a big big difference if I went back to an older OS?

Wireless Buddy

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I just bought a used ibook g3 700mhz, 640mb ram, 22.5 of 30 gb HD space free. OSX 10.4.11 just installed cleanly. Pretty much everything I do is really slow and I cannot figure out for the life of me why. Simple procedures like opening the applications folder even take a long time. With the features, I would have expected this computer to be a lot faster. Am I wrong?
I also have a g4 tower with basically the same specs and it is MUCH faster.
Anyone who can shed some light on this situation for me is greatly appreciated.
thank you.

I have a 900 MHz G3 iBook and I run Panther. It runs well in most cases.

LightDemon69

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Levan, Utah
Would I notice a big big difference if I went back to an older OS?

A little. In my experience, Panther runs a little faster on a G3 than Tiger. Tiger works fine, but Panther works slightly better. However, at this point, with Leopard out, Apple and many (more like most) other companies are dropping support for Panther, so this would probably cost you more irritation than it would fix. You have maxed out your RAM, so there really is nothing much you can do. I would recommend sometime upgrading to a iBook/Powerbook G4 or a MacBook. That is, if you can afford it.

oskiew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
Thanks for the insight everybody. I am working on getting funds together for a g4. I am not used to my macs being slow(er) like this. I feel like I'm using a PC! ok...maybe it's not THAT bad, but...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.