Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kisskisskiss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
I have an old iBook G4 (1.2 GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD) that is quite slow but physically in great condition. I want to strip all the unnecessary crap off it, leaving just what's necessary and Firefox/Safari, Adium, SlingPlayer, TextEdit (OK, I guess I'm leaving one unnecessary item on it) and making it as fast as possible, as my newer MacBook Pro is working fine as my "main" computer and I mostly just want a secondary road machine to tote around. Should I just do a complete reinstall of Leopard on it or is there a better way to retain what I do already want before using the nuclear option?

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Well if you want speed maybe you should consider installing Tiger or even Panther on it as those will run faster than Leopard on your machine.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I have the same iBook and it runs faster with a clean install of 10.5 then it did with tiger.
So yes do a fresh install and just keep the programs you want and perhaps install a 1 ghz ram module in it.
My son uses it every day for web, email, homework and playing his star wars and other games.

eldino

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2007
Italy
Fresh install + a checkup of the disk with DiskWarrior. It did miracles on my iBook 1.33.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.