Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Mar 6, 2008, 05:19 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

DVD or CD Sharing Setup Update for Mac/PC

Apple has released DVD or CD Sharing Setup Update for Mac and PC.

Quote:
This update installs software that enables remote disc sharing, system software restoration, and wireless migration with MacBook Air.
The Mac version requires Mac OS 10.4.10 or 10.5, while the Windows version requires Windows XP or Vista. For more information, Apple refers users to the MacBook Air User Guide (pdf link).

Article Link
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 05:31 PM   #2
liberty4all

How to enable it for other Macs/PCs?!

This would be a lot more practical if it was usable for other Macs/PCs besides just the Air... Seems like wasted potential just for one device -- where's the backwards compatibility?!
liberty4all is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 06:49 PM   #3
Doctor Q
Administrator

Is there a technical reason that sharing a remote optical drive couldn't be made available for all Mac models?

Is there a business reason for Apple not to allow it?
Old Mar 6, 2008, 06:57 PM   #4
awmazz
macrumors 65816

There is a DVD/CD sharing option in the OSX sharing preferences (at least in 10.5.2, I never noticed it before).

I just tested it and I can read the CD in my Mac Mini's optical drive on my Mac Pro.

PS. There is no eject control from the networked computer, it appears it has to be done by the computer which owns the drive.

Edit: Or do you guys mean sharing a stand-alone drive? I imagine it could just be connected to one Mac on a network and accessed via that way by other Macs.

Last edited by awmazz; Mar 6, 2008 at 07:07 PM.
awmazz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 08:20 PM   #5
Art Vandelay
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Q View Post
Is there a technical reason that sharing a remote optical drive couldn't be made available for all Mac models?
You've always been able to share optical discs via file sharing. This just provides a simpler way via Bonjour.
Art Vandelay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 09:20 AM   #6
ppc_michael
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ppc_michael
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Why is this listed as working with 10.4 if it's only available for MacBook Air (10.5)?
Old Mar 7, 2008, 09:23 AM   #7
Art Vandelay
macrumors newbie

You don't install it on the Air. You install it on the computer that has the optical drive you want to share.
Art Vandelay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 05:47 PM   #8
bstreiff
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by awmazz View Post
There is a DVD/CD sharing option in the OSX sharing preferences (at least in 10.5.2, I never noticed it before).

I just tested it and I can read the CD in my Mac Mini's optical drive on my Mac Pro.
How? I've got a CD in my Mac Mini with DVD/CD Sharing enabled, but I don't see how to access it through Remote Disc from my MacBook-- I'm pretty sure the non-Airs cannot do Remote Disc.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 09:32 PM   #9
awmazz
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreiff View Post
How? I've got a CD in my Mac Mini with DVD/CD Sharing enabled, but I don't see how to access it through Remote Disc from my MacBook-- I'm pretty sure the non-Airs cannot do Remote Disc.
I've since found DVD/CD sharing doesn't work (for me at least) unless File Sharing is also active (I assume to access the files on the disc in the optical drive just like any other shared hard drive on the hosting Mac).

No connection appears to be possible with just DVD/CD sharing active, but File Sharing inactive.

So it's just a standard 'connect to server' routine.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:38 PM   #10
bstreiff
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by awmazz View Post
I've since found DVD/CD sharing doesn't work (for me at least) unless File Sharing is also active (I assume to access the files on the disc in the optical drive just like any other shared hard drive on the hosting Mac).

No connection appears to be possible with just DVD/CD sharing active, but File Sharing inactive.

So it's just a standard 'connect to server' routine.
That's not Remote Disc; that's just plain File Sharing. (It works regardless of whether DVD/CD sharing is on or off.) File Sharing just shares out every volume on the machine, whether they be internal hard drive partitions, inserted discs, or attached Firewire/USB disks.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 12:18 AM   #11
awmazz
macrumors 65816

Quote:
That's not Remote Disc; that's just plain File Sharing. (It works regardless of whether DVD/CD sharing is on or off.)
That's what I figure too, so I can't figure out why DVD/CD Sharing has its own option when it doesn't work on it's own (at least for me) without File Sharing being enabled too.

If it's just part of File Sharing and needs FS enabled to even work, why is it a separate option?
Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:24 AM   #12
bstreiff
macrumors regular

Well, I'd imagine that Remote Disc works differently; based on my playing around with the protocol (it's not too difficult, just a HTTP transport), you can actually get the entire filesystem from it; I was able to grab the entire ISO9660 image for a disc that I was playing with (some motherboard driver CD, it was the first thing in my drawer.) This is different from the way File Sharing works (it abstracts away the underlying filesystem).

The driver functionality, however, seems to be restricted to the Air-- reading documentation on it, 'Remote Disc' gets its own device entry in Finder, etc. I'm just wondering if Apple will add it to OS X in general, as it seems like it could be very useful, especially if, for instance, it eventually offers things like being able to burn discs (so that not every machine needs to have a DVD burner to burn a DVD).
Old Mar 10, 2008, 02:13 PM   #13
J-mizzle
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I'm just wondering if Apple will add it to OS X in general, as it seems like it could be very useful, especially if, for instance, it eventually offers things like being able to burn discs (so that not every machine needs to have a DVD burner to burn a DVD).
word. That would come in awful handy... but how would that work? Would it use up some of your processing power, when you could just copy the files over to the other machine and tell it to burn on its own? I mean, I'm all for the lazy solution and everything, but my mini is slow enough as it is! Maybe when i get that new iMac it won't be a problem, though...
J-mizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion