Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:01 PM   #1
dborja
macrumors 6502a

Should I keep my iBook for UB Testing?

I just pulled the trigger and ordered a MacBook because I learned that XCode 3.1 requires a MacIntel host. I have an Intel iMac and a G4 iBook and I was thinking of keeping the iBook so I could test compatibility with Universal Binary programs that I write. Now that I'm getting a MacBook, I wonder if it's really necessary to retain the iBook for the sole purpose of testing UB or can I go ahead and sell it. I appreciate any advice.
dborja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:02 PM   #2
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Unless you really need the cash it's nice to have a PowerPC machine around for testing. My environment is mostly Intel Mac minis but I still have a Power Mac G4 or two around.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:20 PM   #3
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

It depends on the kind of programming you'll be doing. I have a PPC for testing, but I've found I use it 99% of the time for testing on 10.4 and older operating systems, instead of just testing endian issues. And really you won't need to test UB unless you're working with binary files or socket communication.
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:41 PM   #4
dborja
macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I did suspect that it's nice to keep a PPC Mac for testing but I wasn't sure how much use I'd get from that. Based on your responses, it looks like it could be quite a bit.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:46 PM   #5
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

You probably won't need to test as much as you think. You just have to remember to play it smart with endian issues when you come across them, and use the CFSwap*() functions (or equivalent in another API).
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 01:32 PM   #6
dborja
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainjow View Post
You probably won't need to test as much as you think. You just have to remember to play it smart with endian issues when you come across them, and use the CFSwap*() functions (or equivalent in another API).
Thanks again! Yes, I have been burned in the past by endian issues on a different platform and it took a couple of hours with a debugger before I realized it...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming