Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:53 PM   #1
EnderTW
macrumors 6502

iPhone SDK question.

The main question I haven't seen an answer to is this.

1) If I was accepted into the $99 dollar developer program, when I put my apps on my iPhone, will it stay with my iphone or only as long as Xcode open and my iPhone is connected to my mbp?
EnderTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:54 PM   #2
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

I don't think anyone knows the answer to this since that functionality doesn't exist yet until people start receiving the 2.0 firmware.
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:57 PM   #3
EnderTW
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainjow View Post
I don't think anyone knows the answer to this since that functionality doesn't exist yet until people start receiving the 2.0 firmware.
According to the event Kainjow, you can develop apps using the simulator or the uploading it to your device.

They said they would start accepting applications soon.

I understand the concept of the Appstore, and the final product will be chained through the appstore, but what about for developers who want to test their app on their own iphone?
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:57 PM   #4
EnderTW
macrumors 6502

I am thinking of calling Apple HQ and request to speak to some engineer about this.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 01:01 PM   #5
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTW View Post
According to the event Kainjow, you can develop apps using the simulator or the uploading it to your device.

They said they would start accepting applications soon.

I understand the concept of the Appstore, and the final product will be chained through the appstore, but what about for developers who want to test their app on their own iphone?
Yes, I know you'll be able to test apps on your own phone, but this requires the 2.0 firmware, which isn't available yet because AFAIK they haven't started the iPhone Developer Program yet (maybe they have, but no one's gone public about it yet).

I'm just saying no one knows the details about how the apps interface with the phone and how long they stay on there. You could try emailing ADC though.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 01:09 PM   #6
EnderTW
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainjow View Post
Yes, I know you'll be able to test apps on your own phone, but this requires the 2.0 firmware, which isn't available yet because AFAIK they haven't started the iPhone Developer Program yet (maybe they have, but no one's gone public about it yet).

I'm just saying no one knows the details about how the apps interface with the phone and how long they stay on there. You could try emailing ADC though.
Thank you,

Yeah. I guess with the 99$ fee you get access to the 2.0 Firmware. Do you need the 2.0 firmware though to have apps loaded onto the iphone or just a digital certificate?

I am pretty sure the SDK works like the tools that apple uses. I don't know, I know the Enterprise people applying for an enterprise beta, would get the 2.0 firmware because it has the enterprise features.

But for the developer program, do you really think they need access to the 2.0 firmware to load apps on the iphone?
Old Mar 7, 2008, 01:12 PM   #7
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Either the current 1.1.4 firmware supports 3rd part apps or it doesn't. I'm willing to bet it doesn't.

I also think the $99/year is for the certificate, because don't you usually have to update those yearly?
Old Mar 7, 2008, 01:16 PM   #8
EnderTW
macrumors 6502

Ugh yearly..

I hope not but I think you're right.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 01:18 PM   #9
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTW View Post
Ugh yearly..

I hope not but I think you're right.
The iPhone developer program is no different than any other Apple dev program. You pay yearly.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming