Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robo523

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
I am trying to take the highest quality stills from some high quality video. I have been using the snapshot feature in the VLC player and that is the highest quality I have achieved but it still is nothing more than a screen grab.

I was wondering if anyone knows of anything that is the mac equivilent of this program http://www.topazlabs.com/topazlabs/03products/topaz_moment/ because this program captures the stills and auto corrects them into megapixel worthy pictures.

robo523

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Unless your video is higher resolution than your screen, isn't a screen grab basically the best you are going to get?

so your saying that if the video is higher resolution then my screen, a higher resolution screen would capture it better, like if i plugged it into my hdtv?

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
No, what I mean, is that as long as you can display the video at full size on your screen, I would think a screen grab is the same thing as capturing a full frame of the video.

For example, if you have a 640x480 video, you can view that at full size and then get a screen grab. I don't see how a 640x480 screen grab would be any different from a 640x480 frame of the video.

On the other hand, if you had a 1920x1080 video and your screen was only 1280x800, then there is no way for you to display the video full size, so your screen grab would NOT be the same as the video frame.

You can't add resolution that isn't in the actual frame, but maybe there is some other "magic" that the other software does that makes it look better?

I'm no expert at this, but it would seem to make sense to me...

robo523

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
still need help

so are there any mac video editor experts that know any programs/tricks/tips in order to accomplish this goal of taking HQ stills from HQ video? Would adding resolution in photoshop to the stills do the trick or am I just kidding myself?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.