Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Graphis

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Got my new Mac Pro a couple weeks ago, along with a new monitor and printer. Everything's been groovy so far, until now.
I was using CS3 on my old Mac in Tiger, and had no problems. After importing to my new Mac, I noticed a few issues, a couple of non-Adobe Photoshop plugins wouldn't work, a couple of fonts went a bit funny, but there didn't seem to be anything else.
Now however, I finally got round to printing out stuff, and what's printing out doesn't match what's on screen. I've calibrated my monitor (first thing I did after plugging it in), i've checked printer manuals and driver, i've downloaded Adobe's update to 10.0.1, but I'm still not getting a good colour match between screen and print.
After a lot of digging round, it seems others are having similar issues with this, and the problem seems to be with Adobe CS3 suite not being fully compatible with Leopard yet, despite Adobe's assurances, rather than an issue with my printer, monitor, or Leopard.

The problem appears in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator, while docs produced in other apps seem to print OK.

I wondered if anyone else here had encountered this problem, and if so, how did you get round it?
If I can't solve this, I'll have to reinstall CS2!

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
You didn't mention what printer you are using which could be the cause of the mismatch. Leopard changed the way printers are installed and also changed the printer dialog boxes. If your printer does not have a Leopard compatible driver, it could cause problems.

Did you move from a Power PC to Intel based processor? If so, your plug-ins will need to be universal binary to be compatible.

I use a MacPro and CS3 Design Suite Premium and get excellent results printing with the Canon iPF5000 and the Xerox Phaser 8550DP. I print from Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Apple Aperture. There are no incompatibilities with Leopard and CS3 that I have found.

You should go over your color workflow and program settings as well as printer driver settings to insure you are not double profiling which could also be causing your printer mismatches.

Jerry

Graphis

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Hi, thanks for your response Jerryrock. I'm using a Canon Pixma iX4000 printer, which is new. It's not the world's greatest printer, but good enough for home proofing (or at least would be if I could get this handled:))

Yes, Leopard does give dialogues that are unfamiliar to me, and where I used to be confident about my colour management (I moved from CS2 on a PowerPC to CS3 on an Intel) and satisfied with the results, suddenly I seem to be in unfamiliar territory. Is there perhaps an online guide/tutorial somewhere I could refer to? Canon's website, and the manuals for the printer, are next to useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.