Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tman08

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Everytime I open safari and firefox I am able to view a couple pages then suddenly it freezes and goes to the beachball thing. I have to command,options, esc out of it. I've tried it soo many times and it keeps doing the same thing. I turned off the computer then tried it again and its doing it again. This is annoying to the say the least. :mad:

EDIT
This all started when I visited espn.com, Do not visit espn.com unless you disable javascript or it will cause your web browser to freeze (safari,firefox,opera, etc.)

EDIT 2: The problem seems to be fixed. Restart your computer than clear your safari cache. You can now allow javascript and it should work.

jfull15

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
are you using any beta versions?
do you have any plugins installed?
when did this start?
has it always done this?

tman08

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
are you using any beta versions?
do you have any plugins installed?
when did this start?
has it always done this?

I have a new MBP and I'm just using safari that came preinstalled, im presume the latest version. I have no plugins on safari, I do have stumbleupon on firefox, but I rarely use firefox (just tried it because safari was locking up and now FF is too). This started like 2 hours ago, I turned off my MBP and waited an hour and tried it again and it's happening again. This is the first time I've ever had to command,option,esc (force exit) out of safari. If it matters, I installed 4gbs of ram the other day, but I don't think it does bc it was working perfectly before just now.

norcalstadium

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2007
WOW I have the EXACT same problem! PLEASE HELP

I'm on my 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro, and whenever I go to http://www.espn.com or http://www.youtube.com (on either safari or firefox), I get that spinning beachball.

The problem just started today. I've had my MBP for over 9 months now, and this is the first problem I've had.

tman08- this probably isn't a problem with your RAM or whatever, because I have the exact same problem and I haven't installed anything or made any changes recently.

Someone diagnose this PLEASE.

(I too have had to command, option, escape out of the unresponsive windows)

tman08

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Dare I say it...?

Get Opera.

http://www.Opera.com

You will not be sorry.

I would but I don't think I have a snowballs chance in hell to make it to the download page for opera with safari or firefox with the browsers locking up.

Yes, I have all current updates that I know of. It's automatically setup to download and install updates for both Mac OS and safari.

I checked apple discussion and it seems others are having the same problem.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6780528#6780528

jfull15

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
this is superwierd. has anybody called applecare yet?
or emailed steve? :p

wait.. how are you posting in macrumors?

jfull15

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
oh. are you sure this is a brower problem? maybe its an internet problem or another are you guys using wifi, ethernet, whats your setup?

tman08

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
It all started when I went to ESPN.COM!!! Now I can't visit any website without it happening it seems. I'm forced to use my old Dell laptop to try and get to the bottom of this problem.

norcalstadium

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2007
for those of you trying to diagnose the problem

When I go to http://www.espn.com, the site begins to load normally. Then, when the blue, highlight-like, download bar fills about four-fifths of the URL input space, the website suddenly stops loading. Then, the spinning beach ball replaces the curser, and the only "fix" is command+option+escape > End Task

tman08

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
When I go to http://www.espn.com, the site begins to load normally. Then, when the blue, highlight-like, download bar fills about four-fifths of the URL input space, the website suddenly stops loading. Then, the spinning beach ball replaces the curser, and the only "fix" is command+option+escape > End Task

Yeah exact same thing here. If you check this out http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6780528#6780528
you'll see other people are reporting this same problem. My MBP is off but if you got your mac around try disabling plugins on safari and see if that works.

jfull15

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
this is the wierdest thing in the world.
now mine is doing it, when i went to espn. witch is really wierd b/c ive been to espn.com lots of times and its never done this.

narcolept

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2008
As suggested in the thread referenced above, disabling javascript in safari fixes the issue for me.

Safari > Preferences > Security.

ejleff

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
same here. started with espn.com tonight for me too. disabling java script stops the freezing...just cant use everything that java requires now...cant even log into hotmail live without it. help!

tman08

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
As suggested in the thread referenced above, disabling javascript in safari fixes the issue for me.

Safari > Preferences > Security.

Yup this works. I hope this problem gets fixed but in the meantime just disable javascript.

unrecorded

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
having the same problem... can't get on espn or youtube without it freezing. disabling javascript solves it, but then i can't use gmail. i just got my brand new macbook pro today... not a good way to start out my mac experience.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
My Safari has been acting weird today as well. Tonight actually- it keeps freezing, no particular site, and after restarting everything including ibook.

Now Safari won't load any page. I am using firefox right now with no problems and can load espn on firefox no problem.

Any thoughts anyone?

edit- so I even tried to get into safari prefs and can't, just shows empty window.

glxyjones

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Same problem here on a alum iMac. Disabling Javascript worked for me but that can make for some pretty annoying web browsing.

What could've happened in the last couple hours that would've caused this? It started happening to me too after I went to espn.com

robEstyles

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008
I was just about to post this since I am having the same exact issue. I'm brand new to Macs just bought one a week ago everything was going great. My homepage is ESPN and when I went on today it froze I restarted and since then I can't get to almost any webpage without it freezing (happens on Safari,Opera and Firefox) If I disable javascript it works but obviously I need javascript so I don't know what to do. I'm brand new to Macs as I stated so troubleshooting isn't my strong point right now (I just figured out that I wasn't actually closing things just hiding them ha). So like the rest of these posts in this thread any help would be greatly appreciated.

RSNL

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
OMG! i thought i was the only one..my homepage is espn.com for both safari and firefox and it just kept freezing..i wanted to break my imac..im so glad its just not my imac because it is only 3 months old...
I hope they fix this soon. I am currently on my brothers PC right now.

ejleff

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
restarting and just avoiding ESPN is working for me. youtube, myspace, facebook, hotmail...all working. any suggestions for another sports site until they fix this? lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.