Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtaylr77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I have an idea for a iphone/touch app but it would require user entered data and returning values based on those entries. I have not watched all the instructional videos yet so I apologize if this is covered.

Loc

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2007
Southern California
I have an idea for a iphone/touch app but it would require user entered data and returning values based on those entries. I have not watched all the instructional videos yet so I apologize if this is covered.

SQLite was mentioned in the presentation. I've never written a Mac app, but I'm curious how much effort is needed to connect to something like a remote RDBMS or Amazon's SimpleDB.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
SQLite was mentioned in the presentation. I've never written a Mac app, but I'm curious how much effort is needed to connect to something like a remote RDBMS or Amazon's SimpleDB.

Most DBMSes have and special protocal that runs over TCP/IP that connects the client to the server. You don't have to know how this works because in all cases I know of there is a client library. SQL Lite works the same way from the programmer's point of view, you just make library calls but in the case of SQLite the library directly access the local file system. These libraries are at a fairly low level where yu are simply passing a SQL query string. The first call would connect you to the server and then you just send SQL strings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.