Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mylstar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I'm a newbie to using macs, only about a year of use. I'm not sure what the best way is to transfer my files from the G4 to the G5. Knowing how great Macs are, will they automatically fill in all the important info on the G5?
Shoudl I just intall my G4 HDD into the G5 and go from there? Any adivce is appriciated.

Thanks!

-Stephen, who every day thanks the computer gods for the power to switch. Windows really sucks ass. :)

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
your hard drive from you G4 won't work inside the G5, the G5 uses serial ata, G4 uses IDE
you could get an add on pci card to support ide hard drives but i'd just find a different way to transfer your files

GUSTO

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2003
Scotland
Re: G5 arriving tomorrow...I have one Question

Originally posted by Mylstar
I'm a newbie to using macs, only about a year of use. I'm not sure what the best way is to transfer my files from the G4 to the G5. Knowing how great Macs are, will they automatically fill in all the important info on the G5?
Shoudl I just intall my G4 HDD into the G5 and go from there? Any adivce is appriciated.

Thanks!

-Stephen, who every day thanks the computer gods for the power to switch. Windows really sucks ass. :)

You can just link your 2 macs together with an ethernet cable, and open file sharing in your system prefs. (personal sharing)

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I suggest using Target Disk mode. Connect the two via FireWire. Then boot one (I suggest the G4) while holding down T. Let go at the firewire logo, and it should show up as a hard drive. Transfer at will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.