Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:44 AM   #1
ea21
macrumors newbie

macbook - aafes/military

Has anyone found good deals buying a macbook through aafees (store, not online, I don't want to have for shipping)? Would it be better just to buy through Apple or Amazon? I'm buying as a gift a macbook and the protection plan. I saw that Amazon has the protection for $189.99 and the Apple store for $249 but I read that you have to call in or something if you buy from Amazon? The Apple store has a $100 printer coupon also.

I'm also trying to decide which macbook, the 2.1GHz or 2.4GHz. Is the additional speed and 1GB of memory and 40GB hard drive worth $200? The person using the computer isn't going to be running many applications but I'm thinking he might want to use it for games.

Thanks for any information.
ea21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 02:25 PM   #2
ktbubster
macrumors 6502a

shipping is free from apple.com
ktbubster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:16 PM   #3
DLary
macrumors member

If you are qualified to purchase from AAFES, you are probably qualified to buy from the Apple US govt employee site.

http://www.apple.com/r/store/government/epp.html

Try this. You get free shipping just like AAFES and a discount
DLary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:27 PM   #4
scienide09
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea21 View Post
I'm also trying to decide which macbook, the 2.1GHz or 2.4GHz. Is the additional speed and 1GB of memory and 40GB hard drive worth $200? The person using the computer isn't going to be running many applications but I'm thinking he might want to use it for games.
The HD and the RAM in the MacBooks are user replaceable. The processor is not. It's likely you won't notice the slight processor difference.

Re: gaming on a MacBook. You might seek further advice here, or in the gaming forums. The MacBooks are NOT equipped for gaming. The integrated GPU is a bottleneck and affects performance. The dedicated GPUs available in the MBP line may suit your needs better.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 02:26 PM   #5
ea21
macrumors newbie

Thanks. I guess the person doesn't plan on using the MacBook for games (he has a PS3). AAFES has both the 2.1GHz and 2.4GHz models in stock. I am going to get the 2.4GHz model. I read the thread about adding memory and was thinking of buying more memory and installing it. The MacBook comes with 2GB memory and I read that Apple recommends installing RAM in matched pairs so does this mean that I buy 2GB more for a total of 4GB? AAFES sells Centon memory, is that a good brand?
ea21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 08:10 PM   #6
330toSRT8
macrumors member

The MacBook probably has two DIMM slots and comes with two 1GB DIMMs. If that is the case, you will need to purchase two 2GB DIMMs to get a total of 4GB by replacing the existing 1GB DIMMs. Someone who actually owns a MacBook can hopefully verify this, but that information is based on my experience with PC laptops.
330toSRT8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 01:00 AM   #7
TonyG
macrumors newbie

Do what I did, have AAFES pricematch to Apple's Military discount price. You'll also get no sales tax since you are buying from AAFES and you get it on the spot, no waiting for shipping. You can't beat that deal, I think we soldiers deserve every break we can get.
TonyG is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice