Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bad1550

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
The mouse scroll wheel which came with my 20" iMac only scrolls down, not up.

It used to scroll up and down.

I would appreciate any help.

Bob

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I know from everything posted here and elsewhere that a lot of people have problems with that little scroll ball. I personally love the mouse and use the black cloth supplied with my iMac on the mouse every few days. It appears dirt, oil, and whatever else is on your hands easily gunks up the ball, so keeping it clean is the first priority. Hopefully, cleaning it now will help in your case.

Wee Beastie

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
In the snow with Rosebud
The mouse scroll wheel which came with my 20" iMac only scrolls down, not up.

It used to scroll up and down.

I would appreciate any help.

Bob

The scroll wheel is probably just dirty. A tip that I picked up in another thread was to turn it upside rub the scroll wheel around in all directions a few times on a clean sheet of paper (does that make sense?). I did that, except on my mouse pad and it worked. Only the thing was clogged up again in no time. I have since bought another mouse that doesn't suck. There are a number of threads regarding people's favorite mice.

My advice is, just keep cleaning it as needed or get a better mouse.

Tata;)

tsd

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
Pennsylvania
The instruction manual for the Mighty Mouse sais to clean the ball on a lint-free cloth, like your pants (assuming they aren't relatively new or dirty). Turn it upside-down and rub the ball in all directions quickly for 30 seconds.

RobertD63

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
A place
The scroll wheel is probably just dirty. A tip that I picked up in another thread was to turn it upside rub the scroll wheel around in all directions a few times on a clean sheet of paper (does that make sense?). I did that, except on my mouse pad and it worked. Only the thing was clogged up again in no time. I have since bought another mouse that doesn't suck. There are a number of threads regarding people's favorite mice.

My advice is, just keep cleaning it as needed or get a better mouse.

Tata;)
I think they said that to see how much dirt was really in there. :D
-Robert :apple:

Theatrics

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2007
San Diego
Yeah. its very annoying but its an easy fix. Just turn the mouse upside down and scroll like hell over a lint free cloth for a few seconds.

Whimsy

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2006
Oh god - how many countless times that's happened to me! :mad: The already mentioned cloth cleaning tip does work!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.