Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Mar 9, 2008, 03:15 AM   #1
lia77
macrumors member

How do I install Final cut on my notebook/external drive??

Hi!
I just got the final cut studio 2 and wanted to install it on my macnotebook. 80GB). Since the program demands about 50 GB of space I tried to install the program on my external hard drive, but it does not work...

Does anyone have a suggestion? Is there no way to install final cut on an external drive? Can it be a proble of my external drive, or is it simply just not possible?

Also, are there any other ways to get around the problem? To just install parts of the program? I have just used imovie so far and am not an expert, but would like to progress in my film editing...

I would be very thankful for some advice!!!

Krystallia

Last edited by lia77; Mar 9, 2008 at 03:16 AM. Reason: if you want to check out what I do...www.youtube.com/dreamdayproject
lia77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 05:24 AM   #2
northy124
macrumors 68020

I Answered HERE and there wasn't really need for this thread as you asked the same question if the other thread but i will write again FCS2 is 52GB and you have 80GB HDD. Upgrade the HDD to max you can afford if you have an external drive transfer all important docs/videos/pictures as not to lose them when you upgrade. With you old HDD you can buy an HDD enclosure and have it as a back up
northy124 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 05:27 AM   #3
-DH
macrumors 65816

The good news is that the applications included with FCS2 only take up about 4gb of space. The remaining 62gb of "extras" can be installed on another drive. You'll be given the opportunity to do so during the install process. For more details, READ the "Installing Your Software" booklet that came packaged with FCS.

-DH

From Apple's FCS site:
Available Disk Space
• 4GB of disk space required to install all applications
• Additional 62GB required to install all optional templates, content, and tutorials (may be installed on separate disks):
- 9GB for DVD Studio Pro content
- 8GB for Motion templates and tutorial media
- 24GB for Soundtrack Pro audio content
- 12GB for LiveFonts and LiveType animated elements and templates
- 2GB for Apple Pro Training Final Cut Studio Tutorials media
-DH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 05:33 AM   #4
lia77
macrumors member

ok, great!!!! i will give it a try today:-)
Old Mar 9, 2008, 07:57 AM   #5
lia77
macrumors member

Hi again,
i did not find the option you tolf me about, to only install the applications. however, i managed to only install the final cut pro 6 and the cinema tool on the space i had on my notebook. Those programs should be enough for a while right?
Old Mar 9, 2008, 09:15 AM   #6
northy124
macrumors 68020

Have you tried transferring everything on your mac to an External Drive and uninstalling programs so that you have 65GB (To be safe) then install FCS2 then move all the extras to External HDD after all that then put your other stuff back on your mac.

But as i said in the other thread you should upgrade your HDD to 200GB if you can, And there are loads of guides floating around the internet (Apple.com and The Forums)
northy124 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 02:23 PM   #7
lia77
macrumors member

alright, good suggestion then, i might give it a try. right now i will look into the fc pro first and see how it comes along:-)

upgrading i hope to later, these 80GB quite easily fill up....

Thanks again!

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video