Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:08 AM   #1
velocityg4
macrumors 68040
 
velocityg4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Georgia
Removing dryed rubbing compound from car

Well now I know there are auto forums out there but since I am familiar with the MacRumors community I thought I would post here first.

Anyways I have just done a lot of body work on my truck including repainting and finally have all the repairs, painting, and polishing finished. But after using both rubbing compound and polishing compound there is some left over residue.

Specifically there is dried on compound left on the heavily textured plastic surfaces and in the crevices between molding and body panels. I can not seem to find a way to remove this white residue. It is impossible to get a towel or polishing pad into the fine crevices to remove it and and toothbrush seems to have very little affect.

What would be a good cleaning product be to remove the caked on compound. I am a little leary of scrubbing with the toothbrush because I do not want to scratch the finish after spending 5 or 6 weekends doing body work.

I should note that I live in Georgia and there is currently a drought so outdoor water use is prohibited. I have to limit my cleaning to liquid I can stick in a bucket or go to a car wash that I can clean the car myself at using a pressure washer. I haven't bothered with the car wash since it is the rainy season and washing the car when it will likely rain in a day or two seems a waste.
__________________
Quadra 650 040 33MHz 72MB RAM, 2GB HD, 2x CD
Macbook C2D 2.0Ghz; 3GB RAM, 500GB HD
Home Made i5 4.0Ghz, GeForce 560 Ti, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD RAID 0, 3TB HD RAID 0 in a G5 Case.
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 02:07 PM   #2
iGav
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityg4 View Post
Specifically there is dried on compound left on the heavily textured plastic surfaces and in the crevices between molding and body panels.
For the plastic you need a plastic restorer (I use a Turtle Wax one, but the precise name escape me off the top of my head) which will remove the white residue and restore the plastics lustre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityg4 View Post
It is impossible to get a towel or polishing pad into the fine crevices to remove it and and toothbrush seems to have very little affect.

What would be a good cleaning product be to remove the caked on compound. I am a little leary of scrubbing with the toothbrush because I do not want to scratch the finish after spending 5 or 6 weekends doing body work.
A hand held steamer is excellent for this kind of job, and won't damage your new paint work. Hardware (and DIY) stores sell them for 20-30 (probably similar amounts in $), and because they have a narrow head (to increase pressure) it'll fit in more confined areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityg4 View Post
I haven't bothered with the car wash since it is the rainy season and washing the car when it will likely rain in a day or two seems a waste.
Ironically, it'll probably be easier to wash if it's perpetually soaked because the rain will help soften any left over compound. It's the same with removing the accumulated muck underneath your car, you're better waiting until you've driven a long journey in heavy rain so the chassis is saturated, because the moisture softens the dirt making it easier to wash off with a jet wash.
iGav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 06:22 PM   #3
velocityg4
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
velocityg4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGav View Post
For the plastic you need a plastic restorer (I use a Turtle Wax one, but the precise name escape me off the top of my head) which will remove the white residue and restore the plastics lustre.
Would this be like Formula 2001 or Armorall? I have both of those I just did not think they would remove dried on rubbing compound.

Quote:
A hand held steamer is excellent for this kind of job, and won't damage your new paint work. Hardware (and DIY) stores sell them for 20-30 (probably similar amounts in $), and because they have a narrow head (to increase pressure) it'll fit in more confined areas.
I will have to try that when I have time to do so. Weekends end so quickly.

Quote:
Ironically, it'll probably be easier to wash if it's perpetually soaked because the rain will help soften any left over compound. It's the same with removing the accumulated muck underneath your car, you're better waiting until you've driven a long journey in heavy rain so the chassis is saturated, because the moisture softens the dirt making it easier to wash off with a jet wash.
I'll try hitting some of the spots during the week since it will probably rain again this week.

Thanks for your help if anyone has other advise please chime in.
__________________
Quadra 650 040 33MHz 72MB RAM, 2GB HD, 2x CD
Macbook C2D 2.0Ghz; 3GB RAM, 500GB HD
Home Made i5 4.0Ghz, GeForce 560 Ti, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD RAID 0, 3TB HD RAID 0 in a G5 Case.

Last edited by velocityg4; Mar 9, 2008 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Pannoowau
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
i learned to remove it... thanks for the posts....

__________________
Compound Interest Formula
Pannoowau is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nested compound and sync clips in FCPX OrganMusic Digital Video 5 Feb 1, 2014 11:25 PM
2013 Macbook air 11 inch and Thermal compound. Zer0n1nja MacBook Air 4 Jun 25, 2013 03:29 PM
iPad Mini: Black anodized metal rubbing off. DerfBWH iPad 48 Dec 20, 2012 09:39 PM
Reapplying Thermal compound The Unseen MacBook Pro 0 Oct 28, 2012 02:46 AM
Mac Pro 3.1 Thermal compound maintenance bax2003 Mac Pro 1 Jul 5, 2012 11:55 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC