Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sharkbait006

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
I've had my 15" powerbook g4 for the last 3 years. I started noticing problems earlier this year as my computer started taking longer and longer to load up. And now, I think it's died.

Symptoms:
-Startup chime sound when powered on
-Screen doesn't come on at all
-Superdrive seems to be trying to run, noise coming from it
-Keyboard seems unresponsive (cant get it to do target disk mode or eject my install cd)

Can anyone give me some suggestions on how I might fix this? or how I might be able to get my data off the hard drive?

I tried hooking up the powerbook to an external monitor using the dvi-vga converter to a dell monitor but it seems like the computer isnt even sensing the monitor.

I really need to get this computer fixed, ASAP. No longer have Applecare. Any idea how much it might cost to get it fixed? THanks!

Mr. Bubbles

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2007
What you've described is exactly like what happened to my 12" G4 PB. From what I've read on other forums, and my own experience with this lovely problem,
I'm afraid it's safe to say that your logic board has found better things to do than work correctly :( I would either part it out, sell it as-is, or replace the logic board (probably not worth the cost in the long run.) As far as the hard drive goes, I would assume an external 2.5" usb or firewire HD enclosure would do the trick? Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.