Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:49 PM   #1
karlwig
macrumors 6502

Headphones on iPhone

I've got some questions for iPhone's owners regarding headphones support. I've heard that the jack plug is a little weird and doesn't support all types of headphones.... so here we go:

1) Are headphones like Koss Porta Pro supported? I use this a lot for my iPod, would be dissappointing if it doesn't work. If not, what do you use yourself? Is the quality of the included ones any good?

2) How do you handle incoming calls when headphones are plugged in (not the included ones)? Obviously you can't talk thorugh them, unless they have a microphone, but do you have to unplugg them every time in order to get sound in/out of the iPhone and make it work like a "normal" phone?

3) Can you have the incoming sound through your headphones and speak into the iPhone mic when using headphones without a mic (unlike the included ones)? I know it would look kinda silly, like holding a walkie-talkie, but at least you can keep the headphones on.

Tanks for your answers, and sorry if this has been asked before. It's just kind of important to me before finally ordering an iPhone, as good sound quality really matters to me, as well as being able to answer calls easilly - if not, I may as well just use my iPod and phone separately.

Last edited by karlwig; Mar 10, 2008 at 12:54 PM.
karlwig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:58 PM   #2
gibbz
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to gibbz
You can pick up a cheap headphone adapter from Belkin that makes all headphones compatible.

I am pretty sure that I have had someone call in while headphones where in. I am almost positive that I was able to hear their voice through the earbuds and could talk through the iPhone mic.
gibbz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:58 PM   #3
brn2ski00
macrumors 68020

Yeah dude, $10 solves your problems.... Saw 2 diff. models at Radio Shack yesterday.
brn2ski00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 01:00 PM   #4
philgilder
macrumors 68000

1) any headphones work
whats different is the headphone jack is recessed, meaning you may need an adapter. i know apple, along with belkin and a couple of other manufacturers make adapters. look on the apple online store

3) yes, you can select the audio source one the call is in progress
Old Mar 10, 2008, 01:41 PM   #5
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlwig View Post
2) How do you handle incoming calls when headphones are plugged in (not the included ones)? Obviously you can't talk thorugh them, unless they have a microphone, but do you have to unplugg them every time in order to get sound in/out of the iPhone and make it work like a "normal" phone?
Perhaps you would be more interested in adapter with built-in mic, such as Griffin SmartTalk (around $20), Monster iSoniTalk (around $15), or Shure MPA-3C (around $40). Cable management is my only criticism with these adapters.
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 03:28 PM   #6
karlwig
macrumors 6502

Thanks guys. I'll probably buy an adapter then, although I don't like the size of most of them, and I think that Apple could easilly made a better sollution for this in the first place. It seems kind of silly making a $500 iPod/phone that doesn't support normal headphones... oh well.
karlwig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 01:36 AM   #7
Frawley
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlwig View Post
Thanks guys. I'll probably buy an adapter then, although I don't like the size of most of them, and I think that Apple could easilly made a better sollution for this in the first place. It seems kind of silly making a $500 iPod/phone that doesn't support normal headphones... oh well.
Not silly to the third party suppliers who will make a killing off selling new stuff
Old Mar 13, 2008, 01:46 AM   #8
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
I use the Bose In-Ear...

Headphones and you don't need the adapter; you don't need to shave the tips of the plug; all you do is plug-n-play. When I get an incoming call, the music or video sound fades and I'm able to speak into the iPhone microphone and hold a conversation with the Bose Headphones in place. The iPhone microphone works well at an arms length distance for me.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone