Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanUk2003

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2003
Worthing, UK
sounds good...

I would like to see LiveType modules included within FCPExpress - or at least as a seperate piece of software like SoundTrack is.

LiveType's great!

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
I would hope, with FCP4 being less than 6 months old, that Apple would find a way to offer either a STEEP discount, or even a free upgrade, to owners of G5's. Of course, if it takes a year to get it out the door then that would not be the case.
The problem then, is whether Apple would delay shipping an update because of that. There are arguments on both sides.. if you bought FCP because you were happy with the way it worked on your old machine, then you don't necessarily deserve a free update to make it work better on a newer machine. On the other side, if Apple can, through a patch or plugin make it work better on a newer machine, I think that it is reasonable to expect them to do that. If it requires a whole new version to incorporate those improvements, then the regular upgrade discount should be good enough.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
I suppose when I finally buy a G5 early next year I'll be switching from Premier to Final Cut Pro. Doesn't make much sense to stick with Premier now that they've stopped developing for the Macintosh....

But have so much $$$ into Premier and After Effects... Crapolla

I heard there was a crossgrade deal?

bathysphere

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2003
i really hope apple releases a free g5 update for final cut pro 4, i just bought it for chrissakes. either that, or a super cheap update to the new version (ie $100 or under).

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
Originally posted by sethypoo
I hope iMovie gets some upgrades too, can't wait until I can afford Final Cut Pro!

:) :rolleyes: :D
If you haven't used FCP and/or haven't used it for pro work, there's no reason to get it right away. I think you should get Final Cut Express for $300, it has all th features most people need and you can always udgrade directly to FCP if you need it later.

Originally posted by pgwalsh
I suppose when I finally buy a G5 early next year I'll be switching from Premier to Final Cut Pro. Doesn't make much sense to stick with Premier now that they've stopped developing for the Macintosh....

Why not get Final Cut Express first ? Apple still have the very awesome Final Cut Express/Premiere promotion going. See here: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/jul/16fcp.html
It could be that the promotion is over, but it's worth checking out.
You can either get a great deal on FCP or FCE for free...
I traded in my Premiere CD for a new FCE box, best promo deal in a long time.

ennerseed

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2002
enhancements

as far as new enhancements go I really wish Apple would get z axis (depth) added to the positioning in FCP.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by Dahl
If you haven't used FCP and/or haven't used it for pro work, there's no reason to get it right away. I think you should get Final Cut Express for $300, it has all th features most people need and you can always udgrade directly to FCP if you need it later.

Why not get Final Cut Express first ? Apple still have the very awesome Final Cut Express/Premiere promotion going. See here: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/jul/16fcp.html
It could be that the promotion is over, but it's worth checking out.
You can either get a great deal on FCP or FCE for free...
I traded in my Premiere CD for a new FCE box, best promo deal in a long time.
HEY! Thanks for the link...
One issue is if I upgrade to FCP then I get $500 and if I go to FCE I pay nothing, but to upgrade to FCP it's $699. That's a big difference.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Re: enhancements

Originally posted by ennerseed
as far as new enhancements go I really wish Apple would get z axis (depth) added to the positioning in FCP.

isn't that more the realm of after effects/combustion/shake? seems kinda overkill... there's plenty to improve on the editing side of things...

newmacusr

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2003
Wow... an upgrade... wonder if this one will work without continual crashes and Kernel panics? So far our G5 has made a really nice looking doorstop....

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Re: enhancements

Originally posted by ennerseed

maybe it's not the same exact thing, but it's close -- you can already adjust for the z-axis by using "scale" in the motion tab. of course x and y are adjustable with "center."

to get to the main topic here - FCP 4 should get recompiled specifically for the G5, and the G5-specific FCP 4 should be released as 4.1.G5.

all the features and functionality would be identical between G4 and G5 versions. the only difference would be the G5 would kick the butt it was always intended to.

(edited to get directly on topic)

Genie

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2003
heaven

I got FCE and am trying to decide whether to move over to it from the AfterFx world... any advice?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Genie

I got FCE and am trying to decide whether to move over to it from the AfterFx world... any advice?

Why would you want/need to move away from AE? FCE/P is an editing app while AE is a compositing app. FCE/P won't replace AE unless all you use AE for is basic compositing.

Lethal

Genie

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2003
heaven
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
Why would you want/need to move away from AE? FCE/P is an editing app while AE is a compositing app. FCE/P won't replace AE unless all you use AE for is basic compositing.

Hmmm... I thought Apple was saying FCP integrates the two functions into one app... was that just marketing hype?

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
Hmmm... I thought Apple was saying FCP integrates the two functions into one app... was that just marketing hype?
Almost.
As far as I know FCP have a lot of effects what you can find in AE, but it's still not really a substitute for AE. If you do a lot of effects you will probably still need AE.

I'm dying to get Shake, but what's way to expensive for me right now. Besides, it may be too much for my needs anyway.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles

In you first post you said you had FCE and were deciding if you should move over to "it." By "it" did you mean FCE or FCP? FCP does have better than average compositing ability for an NLE, and I've stopped using AE as much since I got FCP, but I still use AE if I'm going to be doing something complex. FCP is a editor w/strong compositing abilities, but depending on your needs it's not a replacement for a compositing app.

Now, FCE, is a hamstrung FCP. I've never used it but I know they've limited it's keyframeing ability and that can only hurt it's compositing ability.

Lethal

Genie

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2003
heaven
Sometimes I like to break apart the photoshop layers of my CD covers and animate fly-throughs of them in 3d space...

That's what I used AfterFX for that I coldn't do in Premiere...

Is FCE/FCP able to do that?

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
Genie, you can import your layered Photoshop files into Final Cut Express just like After Efffects.

I just watched this DVD which came for free with my copy of FCE. I haven't worked in FCE yet, but I know both A.E. and Premiere and FCE looks like a program that is just as good, if not better. At least if you aren't doing major compositing. I love that FCE has color correction, I'll be using that a lot.

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Originally posted by pgwalsh

I use Adobe After FX 5, a long with Vegas 4.0 for my vidoe work, Premier is way to slow, and hard to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.