Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Daily Tunes Site Discussion and Feedback

Old Oct 31, 2003, 01:13 PM   #1
sonofslim
macrumors 6502a

2 suggestions

first: in the browse by artist/song/genre listings, provide an alphabetical jump-list so people don't have to scroll through the entire catalog.

right now it's not a problem to scroll through the entire database -- it's at a size where this can still be done. but once you hit critical mass, i'm imagining a scenario where someone wants to look at the content on a scope somewhere between a full-catalog browse and a specific search. accessing what's in the database might be an easier task if the information is available at several different granularities.

second: (and this may be what user jbembe recently suggested; i'm not sure if i followed that thread correctly) provide a weighted song-recommendation function. pick a song, or a group of songs, from your playlist. other people's playlists are scanned, and playlists that contain your selection(s) are retrieved, providing a pool of songs that have been recommended by people who share some portion of your musical interests.

these select playlists are then examined, and if a song exists on (just for instance here) 50% or more of these playlists then it's assumed that the song has some merit and isn't just one person's fancy. lastly, if the song doesn't already exist in your own playlist, it's recommended to you.
sonofslim is offline   0
Old Oct 31, 2003, 01:24 PM   #2
sonofslim
macrumors 6502a

ooh! check it out, i'm on fire!

if people submitted a list of songs for weighted recommendation, you could return the results by relevance!

for instance, let's say you submit 10 songs, and 10 playlists match all 10 songs, and all 10 playlists recommend song X. probably a great match for you, since it came from playlists that share your criteria exactly, and was recommended by all.

and now imagine that another 10 playlists only match 8 songs, and of those playlists, 8 suggest song Y. well, still a decent match for you, but these playlists aren't quite as in tune with yours, and song Y isn't quite as well-recommended. so it gets returned below song X. and so on and so forth.

man, i'm good! if i weren't so lazy, i'd take this idea and make my own site with it!
sonofslim is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2003, 03:18 PM   #3
Jetson
macrumors 6502a

Great Idea sonofslim!

Some websites I've visited have a series of links at the top of the page labeled A-B-C-D all the way to Z. This really does make it easier to browse through long lists.
Jetson is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Daily Tunes Site Discussion and Feedback