Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:10 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Casting for iPhone 2 Ad?

Appleinsider claims that a Craigslist casting call for an "iPhone 2" commercial was posted over the weekeng, but subsequently removed.
Quote:
The listing, which is no longer accessible from the site, sought several specific model types to play different characters in the ad, with filming slated for March 23 - 24 in Los Angeles, Calif.
The site speculates that it may have been at the request of Apple's ad agency, but few details are available.

Article Link
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:13 PM   #2
nomar383
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to nomar383
But, really, Apple would post a cragslist ad? Probably not. I say probably only beacause they might do anything so....
SABCommand (SABnzbd+ Front-End)
nomar383 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:17 PM   #3
AuntJemima
macrumors newbie

God I Hope So

If they are planning for an iphone 2 release in the spring most its false b/c all other rumors point to the release date as being set for WWDC correct?

but I can always hope!
AuntJemima is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:19 PM   #4
Peace
macrumors P6

I could see Apple's ad agency using craigslist if they were wanting your average person in the commercial.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:19 PM   #5
filman408
macrumors regular

Chiat wouldn't do this.
They respect Apple's privacy. And would be more discrete if they did.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:20 PM   #6
wolfshades
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomar383 View Post
But, really, Apple would post a cragslist ad? Probably not. I say probably only beacause they might do anything so....
Have to agree with normar: likely not.

Such casting is usually done by more reputable film and television specific sites. However, even on those sites, the ad only runs for a short time and then is pulled. Doesn't take long to get a wave of interested actors....
wolfshades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:23 PM   #7
Draddy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I could see Apple's ad agency using craigslist if they were wanting your average person in the commercial.
having worked in the ad industry, I HIGHLY doubt that they would post an ad and CLAIM it to be an iPhone 2 ad.... they might call for extras for an ad and put Apple's name on it, MAYBE.... but the ad agency would be the one calling for actors, not Apple, and they would NOT list what it's for...

edit: as I'm thinking about this, and my experience with much smaller clientele ... there's NO WAY IN HELL they would list what the commercial is for.

BTW: anyone remember that craigslist is an open anonymous listing site right? I could have put the ad up for all anyone knows.
Draddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:25 PM   #8
hueyproductions
macrumors member

Um, I'm sorry, but I doubt apple is going thru craigslist to cast models for their commercials.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:46 PM   #9
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfshades View Post
Doesn't take long to get a wave of interested actors....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draddy View Post
.... but the ad agency would be the one calling for actors, not Apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyproductions View Post
Um, I'm sorry, but I doubt apple is going thru craigslist to cast models for their commercials.
Uh, these ads don't use actors or models!

Do you think casting agencies maintain huge files on non-actors? Why would they?

If the post isn't real it will be because they said it was for an iPhone ad. That level of detail is strange and so I'm not convinced it's legit. But the fact that it's on Craigslist isn't all that strange. Again, I ask, how would YOU find random real people?
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:52 PM   #10
Doctor Q
Administrator

Sure I believe it

Apple and its ad agency decided to
  • give up the secrecy habit -- it's such a bother to keep secrets
  • recruit actors using Craigslist -- so they'd get real people instead of Hollywood types
  • leak information in a roundabout way -- to build up new iPhone interest
The only mistake they made was that they intended to include the full specs for the iPhone 2 product, including a link to a video walkthough of features, in the ad. They pulled the ad merely so they could add more leaked information and repost it.

Last edited by Doctor Q; Mar 11, 2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: fixed grammar
Doctor Q is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 01:00 PM   #11
Surely

Anyone could have posted that ad. Hell, I could go do it right now. Will that make Page 2 too?
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 01:05 PM   #12
yoman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
Anyone could have posted that ad. Hell, I could go do it right now. Will that make Page 2 too?
So it was you then. AH HAA!! Confess....
Old Mar 11, 2008, 01:07 PM   #13
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
yeah, i'll believe it when i see it
Old Mar 11, 2008, 01:57 PM   #14
Seth VIII
macrumors newbie

I think some people here are confusing the "iPhone 2" (3G iPhone) with the iPhone 2.0 (SDK Free).
Seth VIII is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 02:16 PM   #15
wolfshades
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Uh, these ads don't use actors or models!

Do you think casting agencies maintain huge files on non-actors? Why would they?

If the post isn't real it will be because they said it was for an iPhone ad. That level of detail is strange and so I'm not convinced it's legit. But the fact that it's on Craigslist isn't all that strange. Again, I ask, how would YOU find random real people?
Sorry Kemosabe - ad agencies recruit regularly for "regular people" - also known as "extras". There's even an "extras" actors' union. Trust me on this.

Any time you see an ad like that - on Craiglist or in your newspaper - be suspicious. Generally, they're fake, or designed to snare unwitting individuals to come spend their money on scams.
wolfshades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 02:27 PM   #16
johnnyjibbs
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to johnnyjibbs Send a message via MSN to johnnyjibbs
Let that be my 3G iPhone - please!!!!!
johnnyjibbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 02:33 PM   #17
mountainbiker80
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Q View Post
Apple and its ad agency decided to
  • give up the secrecy habit -- it's such a bother to keep secrets
  • to recruit actors using Craigslist -- so they'd get real people instead of Hollywood types
  • leak information in a roundabout way -- to build up new iPhone interest
The only mistake they made was that they intended to include the full specs for the iPhone 2 product, including a link to a video walkthough of features, in the ad. They pulled the ad merely so they could add more leaked information and repost it.

LOL! Oh, memories of the SAT's. Props!
mountainbiker80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 02:51 PM   #18
jakealdred
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to jakealdred Send a message via MSN to jakealdred Send a message via Skype™ to jakealdred
what would the add be on only 3G is supposed to be added then again who knows maybe video and a better camera 5MP is getting standared now!
Old Mar 11, 2008, 04:13 PM   #19
reallynotnick
macrumors 6502a

Does anyone else see a problem coming up, how is apple going to handle the iPhone 2? They are building up such a user base, are they going to handle it like their computers where only some apps will run on both and others will require the new model?
Plus if they wanted to switch processors would they totally cut off their user base?

The next updates will probably be 3G, more storage (again) and maybe a better camera (2MP is a weak).
reallynotnick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 04:33 PM   #20
Noeld
macrumors member

As an actor I have to declare bull!

An ad of this type would need to be SAG. SAG commercials, and even most non-union commercials go out through the breakdown services. Not through Craigslist. I also agree that the call would never say it was for the iPhone 2. It may say it is for a cellphone, or even say it is an ad for Apple. The reason for this is to avoid conflicts. If you have recently been in a commercial for any sort of overlapping product, then you would be inelligable for this one. This is to make sure you don't see the same actor in an iPhone ad and a Verizon ad or IBM ad. If Apple really wanted to be discreet they could go directly to an individual agency instead of a breakdown service. Probably not though.

As for Apple using "real people". I've been on plenty of auditions for "real people". They ask you what else you do besides acting and that goes down as your sole profession. I would bet everything I own that the iPhone ads are indeed actors.
Noeld is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 05:30 PM   #21
Iorek Byrnison
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noeld View Post
As an actor I have to declare bull!

As for Apple using "real people". I've been on plenty of auditions for "real people". They ask you what else you do besides acting and that goes down as your sole profession. I would bet everything I own that the iPhone ads are indeed actors.
Well...it would be a decent bet...but ultimately you would lose.

Having worked on various previous iPod/iPhone spots I can tell you for a fact:

- They always use a fake project name (NEVER Apple or iPod)
- While they do sometimes interview/audition actors they also use a lot of casting companies that specialize in "real people" casting
- If it is a dancing (iPod) spot they call for "people who can move"
- If it is an interview spot (iPhone) the only real condition is that you own an iPhone and are not connected to Apple or the ad agency (though being a friend of the grandchild of Errol Morris obviously doesn't hurt right Ellen?)

While it is possible that a "real people" casting company may have posted that Craig's List ad...they would have been fired immediately from the spot for violating the NDAs they all have to sign upon being hired.

So that is that.
Iorek Byrnison is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 06:00 PM   #22
filmguy15
macrumors member

hmmm, sounds like bs to me. I do hope they release the new phone soon though! I won't be buying one, but it'd still be nice to drool over something new....
filmguy15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 07:46 PM   #23
Batcave
macrumors newbie

If it is a fake why was it ripped of Craigslist AND Apple Insider? The link no longer works, which makes me thing Apple's legal department jumped all over them! If it wasn't true why would they care?
Batcave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 07:53 PM   #24
Iorek Byrnison
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batcave View Post
If it is a fake why was it ripped of Craigslist AND Apple Insider? The link no longer works, which makes me thing Apple's legal department jumped all over them! If it wasn't true why would they care?
Retail and online sales. That is why.

But I am guessing (just a shot in the dark here) that it was dropped because someone reported it as fake to Craig's List.

Simple as that.
Iorek Byrnison is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 07:55 PM   #25
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Discovery channel uses Craigslist too. It is a preferred site for that industry.

Rocketman

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion