Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wes Allen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
Kentucky
Hey, we are setting up a xserve to do a medium scale website with a mix of group and individual blogs, and group and individual wikis. I haven't worked with Apple server much, and was wondering how easy it is to assign permissions to each blog / wiki? We will be tying the apple directory in with MS active directory, so would be using that for user info. And, if anyone has a link to more info about setting up the blog / wikis I would be grateful. What I found on Apple's site was pretty basic, and didn't seem to get into the details of how a user/group is assigned permissions to a blog/wiki. Or, if there is a good book on Leopard server that also includes this info, that would be great as well.

And, if anyone is using these tools or knows of sites that are, links to check out how they are look would be amazing.

Thanks much!

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
Wiki and Blog Setup

I just got a Leopard Server to setup, coming from a Windows world I was a bit overwhelmed by the whole Mac server setup. I had a real hard time with the DNS, and decided to take a step back and regroup. So I just cheated and got the "Leopard Server Essential Training" set. I set my leopard server next to a mac client and followed along with the training video. It went perfectly. Once DNS is setup correctly, everything else flows perfectly.
It was well worth the price.
BTW, the leopard server does circles around windows server 2003.

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=373

Also, it's best to install the 10.5.1 update before you do any configuration.

Wes Allen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
Kentucky
This link to a webcast was pretty helpful. A little bit slow at first and toward the end, but the middle section does a pretty good job of showing the basics.

http://macenterprise.org/webcasts/2008-01-23.mp4

Our server should be in within a couple weeks, and will report back once I "get under the hood" so to speak.

Hey, we are setting up a xserve to do a medium scale website with a mix of group and individual blogs, and group and individual wikis. I haven't worked with Apple server much, and was wondering how easy it is to assign permissions to each blog / wiki? We will be tying the apple directory in with MS active directory, so would be using that for user info. And, if anyone has a link to more info about setting up the blog / wikis I would be grateful. What I found on Apple's site was pretty basic, and didn't seem to get into the details of how a user/group is assigned permissions to a blog/wiki. Or, if there is a good book on Leopard server that also includes this info, that would be great as well.

And, if anyone is using these tools or knows of sites that are, links to check out how they are look would be amazing.

Thanks much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.