Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexwaddell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Work colleague of mine bought a 16gb iPhone today and gave his O2 buddy a call to see if he could help him out with some "extras". A couple of things very interesting things came from this call:

1) The camera in the 16gb iPhone is *different* to the one in the 4gb/8b - still 2megapixels but a more modern component

2) Apple will announce the 32gb iPhone in July - still based on the current platform, same features etc. Basically just a memory increase.

How do I know this is true? I don't for definite, however his O2 buddy has been right on two previous occasions in the past (release date of the iPhone in the UK, 16gb iPhone coming in February).

And no I don't know if a 64gb iPod Touch will be released around the same time (the guy works for O2 not Apple) however I would think it's a safe bet.

Only time will tell how right this is.

Cheers for now,

Alex.

alexwaddell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Glasgow, United Kingdom
We, the great unwashed, may call for 3G - the reality is that we'll get it when Apple decide it's ready for the iPhone (and vice versa). Would think it will be end Nov 2008 before we see it however.

Cheers for now,

Alex.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
I think the 3G will be out with the App store... to allow people to download apps on the go faster!

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Apple should make the iPhone mkII a 3.5G mobile with 3G backward compatibilities, otherwise by the time it actually appears, it'll STILL be one generation behind!! And I don't think people here (in Japan) really wanna waste money on old technology - doesn't make sense.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
This won't happen in july. Why?

The iPhone only has 1 slot for a flash drive. Unless a 32GB flash drive is CHEAP and worth it, Apple won't use it, which i doubt will be the case in only 4 months from now.

NurseChris

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2008
Manchester, UK
I am inclined to believe that Apple would max out the memory (32gb) then bring 3g with a 64gb memory around November 2008.

ps. a man can dream cant he!

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I hope that all the iPhone carriers offer a good replacement plan when the big change comes.
3G and more space, I do like to see both + video recording.
________
Super Duty

Last edited:

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I REALLY don't think Apple will release a 3G iPhone in June.
When they release the 2.0 update, the phone will see a huge spike in sales.
Then, 5 or 6 months later, when they release the 3G iPhone, they will see a huge spike in sales.

If they were released at the same time, they wouldn't have the spike in sales for the EDGE version. Apple are masters of marketing, and marketing-wise, it would be REALLY stupid to release the software update and hardware update at the same time.

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I REALLY don't think Apple will release a 3G iPhone in June.
When they release the 2.0 update, the phone will see a huge spike in sales.
Then, 5 or 6 months later, when they release the 3G iPhone, they will see a huge spike in sales.

If they were released at the same time, they wouldn't have the spike in sales for the EDGE version. Apple are masters of marketing, and marketing-wise, it would be REALLY stupid to release the software update and hardware update at the same time.

Well piggy backing on this it's more liekly it will not happen because AT&T has been slow to roll out 3G in most area's and it would basically cost apple more money to make 3G phones with very few users able to take advantage of it. Why not hold of another 6-12 months for a 3G and reduce the costs of the parts and save Money while still charging the customer 499.99 for it? Apple is smart and they make nice products but they also do the consumers NO favors...

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I'd like to add my request for a little red flashing light (like my BlackBerry) to let me know when I have a message/sms/mms/e-mail.

Oh my. Please, no. That would be very un-Apple like. I think the current mail sound and/or vibrate is more than adequate for email and SMS alerts.

AGSHender

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2007
I am inclined to believe that Apple would max out the memory (32gb) then bring 3g with a 64gb memory around November 2008.

There is no possible way Apple would release three revisions of the iPhone in the span of one year. Have they ever done that with any of their products, ever? It doesn't make fiscal sense from both a marketing and manufacturing perspective.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Maybe flash prices are moving downward faster than we all think (a lot of laptops now come with flash memory instead of HD, economies of scale kicking in?). Personally I think we might see 32GB and 3G all around the same time. That time? November 2008.

NurseChris

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2008
Manchester, UK
There is no possible way Apple would release three revisions of the iPhone in the span of one year. Have they ever done that with any of their products, ever? It doesn't make fiscal sense from both a marketing and manufacturing perspective.

I direct you to my next post after the one you quoted :)

AGSHender

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2007
If you miss your sound or don't have your iPhone in your pocket how do you know if you have a message?

Why exactly would you not have your iPhone in your pocket? Do we need to take away your geek card? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.