Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trcwest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Dear All,

I am about to receive my New Macbook Pro 2.5ghz 15" Model.

It will be coming with the 2gb of Ram and i intend to remove that and flog it or sell it at my Uni for all those people who have only 1gb Macbooks or MBP's. I guess between £10-15 Per 1GB would every one say that is fair?

Now i want to replace it With 4GB of ram.

I have been researching and the first one was at crucial.com/uk and i can get the 4gb Pacage for £66

Now on Ebuyer the same Memory i think is £59.22 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/142423
Is this exactely the same as that on the Crucial Site??

The other options are
4GB Kingston Memory £32.94 X2
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119498

4gb Corsair Memory £24.83 X2
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/142434
Confusing as there are two options with the same proodcut but different price??http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130435 Is there a difference.

Or the Ebuyer One 28.99
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131133

Link to all of the ones i think would work!! http://www.ebuyer.com/search/?intStoreID=2&intCatID=152&intSubcatUID=2503

NOW WHICH BRAND OR ONE DO I GO FOR.

I am inclined to go for the cheap corsair one or the Crucial or even the Kingston could somone help and explain what the difference between the three are and which brand is the Best??

Many Thanks...

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
First of all it's just 4GB of RAM. 4GB Megs does not make any sense. 1GB=1000MB. I'd recommend the crucial. They've always been the company I trust most.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Get the Cheapest Corsair it doesn't really matter because Crucial doesn't make their stuff I believe it's Micron. No body makes their stuff so any ram is good.

trcwest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Cheers....

First of all it's just 4GB of RAM. 4GB Megs does not make any sense. 1GB=1000MB. I'd recommend the crucial. They've always been the company I trust most.

Thanks bud thats cool sorry about that Megs issue changed it now.

Crucial are pretty good aren't they i hear that they even supply to apply Direct.

trcwest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Yeah i thought that would be th case....

Get the Cheapest Corsair it doesn't really matter because Crucial doesn't make their stuff I believe it's Micron. No body makes their stuff so any ram is good.

Yeah i realized that they all will do the same thing and it will come with a 5yr guarantee so that will be fine even if it conks out.
Cheers

trcwest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Lifetime warranty for corsair ones

Oops their is actually a lifetime warranty for the corsair one and i think all others having a second look.

luftwaffles08

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2007
I actually went with the Kingston when I updated my 2.33 RAM from 2 to 3gb (which I'd like to thank everybody on here for convincing me that I was not going to cause a massive system failure. It went incredibly easily). I went with the Kingston stick because it was cheap and I've used Kingston in the past for replacements. As long as you're ordering it from a place you trust with a good return policy, I would try to balance value and reputation. I know Crucial is highly regarded on this site, and with the lifetime warranty, I don't see how it can be a bad choice.

scott9s

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
I Have similar questions. If you look for "Mac Memory", the prices seem a little higher.

For example, if you go to newegg. There is a Kingston 4GB package that is selling right now for $105.

However, if you look for 2 X 2GB DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) 200 pin laptop memory chips, it seems to be 20 to 30% cheaper.

I also wonder about the CAS Latency timings. the Kingston.com and Crucial.com website recommends CAS timings of 5. However, there are some timings of CL 4 available. Is it compatible? Does it matter that its a "mac" memory? Or is that marketing humble jumble?

Update: I saw this post at Corsair about CAS Low Latency Timings and 20% increase in performance (which seems difficult to believe)

trcwest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Not aware of this..

I Have similar questions. If you look for "Mac Memory", the prices seem a little higher.

For example, if you go to newegg. There is a Kingston 4GB package that is selling right now for $105.

However, if you look for 2 X 2GB DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) 200 pin laptop memory chips, it seems to be 20 to 30% cheaper.

I also wonder about the CAS Latency timings. the Kingston.com and Crucial.com website recommends CAS timings of 5. However, there are some timings of CL 4 available. Is it compatible? Does it matter that its a "mac" memory? Or is that marketing humble jumble?

Update: I saw this post at Corsair about CAS Low Latency Timings and 20% increase in performance (which seems difficult to believe)

I am not aware of this new Low Latency Timings.... I would feel that it works off the same infrastructure therefore cannot really increase the performance so dramatically. I would think for such and increase you would have to change the memory type altogether. I am only assuming so if you have more evidence then great i will get that new memory.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本

Crucial is the brandname, their other brands include Lexar
and Micron Technologies, Inc. is the Company.

It's similar to MacBook, MacBookPro and Apple. :rolleyes:

scott9s

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
I am not aware of this new Low Latency Timings.... I would feel that it works off the same infrastructure therefore cannot really increase the performance so dramatically. I would think for such and increase you would have to change the memory type altogether. I am only assuming so if you have more evidence then great i will get that new memory.

See the attached PDF. Now, granted, this was written and tested by Corsair, so they have a vested interest in faster memory, but it makes sense.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency :

When selecting a RAM card, the lower the CAS latency (given the same clock speed), the less time it takes to fetch data from it.

CAS is an abbreviation for column address strobe, or sometimes column address select, both referring to the column of the physical memory location in an array (comprised of columns and rows) of capacitors used in dynamic random access memory modules. Thus CAS Latency (CL) is the time (in number of clock cycles) that elapses between the memory controller telling the memory module to access a particular column in the current row, and the data from that column being read from the module's output pins.​

I'm just wondering if MAC Memory is required just because you pass a few "certified" apple tests.

Anyone try non-mac memory?

Attachments

• Low Latency Mac Memory Performance.pdf
    121.4 KB · Views: 214

jordanpn

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
For what it's worth, I just installed 4GB of CAS4 G.Skill RAM into my 2.5GHz 17" Penryn MBP. The memory seems to work perfectly fine (it has 4-4-4-12 timings like the above mentioned Corsair) and I would be interested in knowing if there is any difference compared to the stock memory. Here is my Xbench with the CAS4 RAM. Memory test and Thread test are the one ones I am interested in comparing.

System Info
Xbench Version 1.3
System Version 10.5.2 (9C2028)
Physical RAM 4096 MB
Model MacBookPro4,1
Drive Type Hitachi HTS722020K9SA00
CPU Test 168.08
GCD Loop 291.77 15.38 Mops/sec
Floating Point Basic 141.88 3.37 Gflop/sec
vecLib FFT 117.04 3.86 Gflop/sec
Floating Point Library 209.31 36.45 Mops/sec
Thread Test 301.86
Computation 498.74 10.10 Mops/sec, 4 threads
Lock Contention 216.43 9.31 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test 174.28
System 191.70
Allocate 310.80 1.14 Malloc/sec
Fill 152.96 7437.14 MB/sec
Copy 169.66 3504.28 MB/sec
Stream 159.77
Copy 150.14 3101.08 MB/sec
Scale 149.87 3096.28 MB/sec
Add 170.38 3629.47 MB/sec
Triad 171.41 3666.88 MB/sec

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.