Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I've been having a problem with my PS3 controllers that my resident PS expert can't help me with, so I'm turning to you guys.

More than half the time when I try to turn the controllers on, all they do is blink 4 lights continuously, and never "connect" to the console. As a result, most of the time, I am tethered to the console via the USB cord, because the flashy lights go away when I plug the controller in.

The only thing that seems to fix the problem so far is turning the console off (via the switch in the back) and then turning it back on. Only then will the PS button get the controller to assign itself a number and work properly.

This happens when the controllers have been charging and when they have been not charging, so I don't think it is a battery issue.

I have the recent 40GB PS3 and I have the Nyko BlueWave remote dongle plugged in. I leave the PS3 on pretty much all the time. I don't know if any of these things are of relevance, but may be, so I included them.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
It is the SIXAXIS controllers that are giving me the problems. the Nyko dongle is just for an IR remote so that my Logitech Harmony can control the DVD functions of the console. I just mentioned it because maybe there was some issue with it that I didn't know about. It shouldn't affect the bluetooth controllers connecting with the system. It should only take up one of my precious USB ports.

Both SIXAXIS controllers work sporadically with the console. Both are exhibiting this blinky light problem.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Have you tried re-syncing the controllers? I had my controllers do that from time to time and if the syncing don't work then try resetting the controller(its the small little button in the back of the controller)

Try it out and tell me how it goes.

Bless

bluemonkey08

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2008
i am also having thesame exact problem. initially i suspected inteference from all of the wireless network. i sent playstation an email and was sent back the standard reply. next step is to call. if you figure anything out would be greatly appreciated

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Reset or Resync the controller(s).

The wireless controller does not function.

When using the controller wirelessly, if the controller and the system are too far apart, you will not be able to operate the system effectively.
When using the wireless controller, you must pair it with the system and assign
it a controller number. With the system turned on (power indicator on the system
front is lit solid green), connect the system and the controller using the USB
cable, and then press the PS button on the controller.
Check the charge level of the wireless controller battery. When the controller is
used in wireless mode, it will not function if the battery does not have any charge
left. Charge the battery by connecting the controller to the system with the USB
cable.
Wireless controllers for the PS3™ system are not equipped with a vibration
function and will not vibrate when using software that support the vibration
function.
Reset the wireless controller by pushing the reset button on the controller rear with a sharp-tipped object such as a pen.

http://www.us.playstation.com/SCEARegionalOnlineManual/safety_support/troubleshooting.html

Mantishead

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2006
Same Here

I also have this problem. PS3 is about a week old. At first I was assuming I hadn't charged the controllers for long enough.

Now, not only do I find a charge last about and hour or two but I also get the flashing lights issue which requires the console to be powered off, and then switch back on using the PS button on the controller.

Either that or stay connected via USB..

Basically it sucks..

muscleshark

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
I solved this blinking lights problem...

Hi all, my first post here :)

Mantishead and tobefirst, your problem with the blinking lights sounds exactly like my problem which I solved. Basically, as 2nyRiggz suggested, try resetting the controller (using the small button on the back of the controller - use a paper clip).
I believe you are suffering from the bluetooth connection being lost or interrupted - as I found. If this happens, the USB will allow the controller to work, but as soon as you unplug it, the lights will start flashing again.
As far as I remember, the manual doesn't mention that the blinking lights could be due to the bluetooth connection being lost - it only mentions the blinking lights in relation to the battery needing charging (this belief also made me question the battery on the controller itself). I noticed that whenever the controller was sycning with the console, that the lights would blink. This made me wonder if it was the bluetooth connection that was being lost with the console, and NOT the battery needing charging. Sorry if I'm going on a bit - resetting the controller should work, but sometimes it pays to think WHY you're resetting it :)
Happy gaming .. pls let us know what happens.

Mantishead

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2006
Possibly worked...

I carried out the controller reset and have been playing for a couple of hours since.

To summarise the lights on the controller began to blink as if the battery had gone. Plugging the controller in with USB cable overcame the problem but the moment the cable was unplugged once again the lights would blink.

So, I reset the controller by pressing the button on the back with a paper clip and the controller came back online.

The controller then worked for 2 hours before I'd had enough.

So unless it's a massive coincidence the controller would seem to require a reset after all.

I will update this after further testing.

muscleshark

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
re: mantishead feedback..
I've been using the controller now for at least 6 hours since I reset it and it has only just now lost the first battery bar (there are 3 bars in the icon). Good luck!

bluemonkey08

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2008
good to hear that some of you are having you problems solved or at least temporarily. i've tried pressing the reset button before and that still doesn't fix it. any other ideas?

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I have the exact same issue with my Sixaxis controller and the BD Remote Control. I isolated the problem to interference cause by my wireless speakers. Unfortunately I cannot give up on my speakers, so at the moment I use the controller connected to USB...

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I have the exact same issue with my Sixaxis controller and the BD Remote Control. I isolated the problem to interference cause by my wireless speakers. Unfortunately I cannot give up on my speakers, so at the moment I use the controller connected to USB...
You've isolated it to the speakers? What kind of speakers are they? What kind of wireless technology do they use?

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
You've isolated it to the speakers? What kind of speakers are they? What kind of wireless technology do they use?

I have a home cinema system from Thompson. The rear speakers connect wirelessly (I think it's RF) to the main system. When using the controller without the speakers, I can get two to three hours without any connection issues. When I turn the speakers on, the connection drops after a couple of minutes. Sony has made a big mistake here and I am afraid we will have to live with it...

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I have a home cinema system from Thompson. The rear speakers connect wirelessly (I think it's RF) to the main system. When using the controller without the speakers, I can get two to three hours without any connection issues. When I turn the speakers on, the connection drops after a couple of minutes. Sony has made a big mistake here and I am afraid we will have to live with it...

Ah. This is different than the issue I'm having. My controllers will be fine once they are connected. I'll turn them off, though, and when turned back on, they just blink all four lights forever. They won't reconnect (just repeating the blinkies) until I completely turn off the PS3.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Ah. This is different than the issue I'm having. My controllers will be fine once they are connected. I'll turn them off, though, and when turned back on, they just blink all four lights forever. They won't reconnect (just repeating the blinkies) until I completely turn off the PS3.

Not exactly! The controller's leds blink and they don't stop unless I shut down the console and turn it again on....

muscleshark

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
Well, today my controller decided to blink again so i reset it, but to no avail! It would not work until i had switched the console itself off and on again. So the reset button does not work 100% of the time *sigh*
What a bother! Yes.. a big mistake has been made by Sony - I'm not sure how many users are suffering this issue, but it doesn't bode well.

If it IS a case of bluetooth interference, then I don't see how switching it off and on again should be anymore superior to resetting the controller, as presumeably, the interference is still present. ( I would have thought that resetting the controller has the same effect as switching the console on and off, as you are forcing the two to re-sync, but this doesn't seem to be the case. If it was, then the reset would work).

Keep this one updated please, everyone.. Maybe one day we will get a permanent solution.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
What model does everyone with this issue have? As I've said, I have the 40GB model, purchased in November. It is the one that only has two USB ports and doesn't play PS2 games.

muscleshark

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
I have the 40Gb model too, same as urs tobefirst (bought abt 1.5 weeks ago). But I'm in the UK, so nice to know we still share the same problems (almost lol). As far as I'm aware, you cannot buy the 60Gb version in here anymore (I just checked a few of the major online shops here).

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
I had this happen after I went to pick a controller off the ground and got a nasty static shock. All it would ever do is blink its 4 lights for a while and then they'd shut off. It never worked again. I broke it into a million pieces and have been treating my other controller like gold until the DS3 comes out next week.

bluemonkey08

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2008
it would be really nice to have this problem fixed. this is what happens with me...i will turn the system on and have the controller connect. after about 10min of usage the controller just shuts off. when i press the ps button the 4 led lights blink... i dont have any wireless speakers but i have every computer in my house on a wireless g router. i dont see why that would cause interference and have it act the way it does.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
it would be really nice to have this problem fixed. this is what happens with me...i will turn the system on and have the controller connect. after about 10min of usage the controller just shuts off. when i press the ps button the 4 led lights blink... i dont have any wireless speakers but i have every computer in my house on a wireless g router. i dont see why that would cause interference and have it act the way it does.

Because both Bluetooth and Wireless Networks work at the 2.4Ghz Band. While Wlan occupies only a small portion of the Band, Bluetooth can use the whole spectrum!!!
Returning the console to Sony won't solve the problem, I believe this is a major design flaw...

muscleshark

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
My laptop has the option of receiving 5 Ghz instead of 2.4... petvas, if I set my laptop to receive at 5Ghz instead of the default 2.4, then it should provide less interference yes?
I'm not too good on these frequency things lol... but I'm sure my controller disconnects even when the laptop is off (hence providing no interference).
Theoretically, could Sony release controllers which use a different frequency? (a long shot, as you mentioned that Bluetooth can use the whole spectrum)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.