Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Mar 12, 2008, 03:25 PM   #1
A.Fairhead
macrumors member

Mac Pro + Wacom

I've dabbled with the idea of getting a graphics tablet for a while, on and off.

I use a Mac Pro with a 30" ACD. I find myself doing quite a lot of illustrating and drawing in PS and Illustrator in my work. I'm wondering about getting a Wacom Bamboo?

What sizes would work well with my screen? Can anyone recommend a particular model of wacom/bamboo for this setup?

Cheers
Old Mar 12, 2008, 04:23 PM   #2
macreation
macrumors newbie

Go Wide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Fairhead View Post
I've dabbled with the idea of getting a graphics tablet for a while, on and off.

I use a Mac Pro with a 30" ACD. I find myself doing quite a lot of illustrating and drawing in PS and Illustrator in my work. I'm wondering about getting a Wacom Bamboo?

What sizes would work well with my screen? Can anyone recommend a particular model of wacom/bamboo for this setup?

Cheers
Having owned an A6 and A4 Tablet I would say bigger is better when it comes to using a tablet for any illustration or design.

I currently use an A4 intuos3 Wacom and its probably a little on the large side for my purposes (Mainly 2D (CS3 Suite) with a little 3D). If you can afford to, I would advise you to buy a Wide A5 Intuos3 (16:10). Having used one at my previous job working on a 20" ACD, it was fantastic to use. Perfect for widescreen monitors.

Although you can tweak the settings to fit if you went for a non-widescreen tablet.

Best of luck!
macreation is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 07:05 PM   #3
Artful Dodger
macrumors 68020

Quote:

I use a Mac Pro with a 30" ACD. I find myself doing quite a lot of illustrating and drawing in PS and Illustrator in my work.
I would go wide as stated but also make sure you take about 1/2 hr. to setup the tablet to your screen so that your arm isn't overworking with the tablet. I had to do this with my 9x12 Wacom and my 20" iMac because I was going all over making my jesters and it felt odd at first. Once it was setup better (I actually had taken the time to do it) I have been way more comfortable drawing than before.
30" and a tablet just like in drawing class only it's digital, bring on the hologram models And enjoy your choice, you'll love it once you use it for a few days in a row.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 07:08 PM   #4
Techguy172
macrumors 68000

The Bigger the better If you can get the Intuos3 12x19 that would be excellent.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 07:25 PM   #5
DrBurke
macrumors newbie

I recntly bought an A6 Wacom Bamboo to try out and get the feel of and I love it. Mainly been used for rendering scanned in artwork. The size is a little tricky to get the hang of at first as you do get disoriantated at times but once in the flow it works well.
DrBurke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 04:06 AM   #6
A.Fairhead
macrumors member

Ty for the replies

Well I've found these on Amazon, the former being easier to afford than the latter ()*…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-Bamboo...5398808&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-Intuos...398808&sr=8-12

Glad to hear tablets are fine when used with larger screens (without having to fork out for giant-tablets)

*Ponders over these two* I'm open to suggestions
Old Mar 13, 2008, 08:31 AM   #7
Techguy172
macrumors 68000

I think most people would be fine with a Bamboo unless your doing really accurate work it won't really make too much of a difference.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 08:36 AM   #8
TenPoundMonkey

IMHO. But I think the extra pressure levels plus all the function keys make the intuous better than the bamboo. I prefer medium sized tablets so I don't have to make huge gestures to get around the screen- I've been using a 6x11" intuous.

You've got a 30acd... What's a few extra bucks?
TenPoundMonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 06:31 AM   #9
A.Fairhead
macrumors member

Has anyone tried both?

I'm torn …*Intuos does have more features to its name, but I wouldn't like to think I'd be paying an extra £200 or so for things I won't necessarily use…

The Bamboo seems to offer an A6 wide, and Intuos an A5 wide…
Old Mar 14, 2008, 08:14 AM   #10
juanm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
Quote:
Has anyone tried both?

I'm torn …*Intuos does have more features to its name, but I wouldn't like to think I'd be paying an extra £200 or so for things I won't necessarily use…

The Bamboo seems to offer an A6 wide, and Intuos an A5 wide…
Get a Bamboo. Since after a while you'll only want to use a tablet, if you see it's not enough, you'll be able to buy an Intuos and assign the Bamboo to some other computer of yours. Plus, it's good to have a smaller tablet to take with you.

For $89 (or whatever it costs) it's one of the best investments you'll ever make.
juanm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 08:55 AM   #11
Apemanblues
macrumors regular

I Haven't used a Bamboo, but I did originally start with a small inexpensive Graphire2. The Graphire was awesome. I was amazed how much I could do with such a small tablet (the active area was about a the size of a postcard).

I naturally upgraded to an A4 sized intuous 3 after a few years, because I wanted the extra room and capabilities, and you may do too, but for your first tablet I cannot see how you can go wrong with one of the small inexpensive ones.
Apemanblues is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 02:13 PM   #12
A.Fairhead
macrumors member

I think I'll grab a Bamboo, then

Many thanks for all the input! If there's any experiences that differ from 'woohoo this rocks' then I'll be sure to stick them in here in the future

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics