Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
awake 2 , sleep 2.. not a bad idea... i do... away for 1.5, sleep 3 hours, continue pattern for 4 more days, then sleep for 20 hours... LOL

ya i'm not hitting 116

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by revenuee
awake 2 , sleep 2.. not a bad idea... i do... away for 1.5, sleep 3 hours, continue pattern for 4 more days, then sleep for 20 hours... LOL

ya i'm not hitting 116

it is said that albert einstein, later in his life, developed a system of 2-3 hour napping when he felt tired, and working the rest of the time, so he never had long sleeps... just life with a lot of catnaps. i couldn't do it, i would feel tired every time i got up, eventually i'd sleep to death.

:)
pnw

Reactions: rafark

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by paulwhannel
it is said that albert einstein, later in his life, developed a system of 2-3 hour napping when he felt tired, and working the rest of the time, so he never had long sleeps... just life with a lot of catnaps. i couldn't do it, i would feel tired every time i got up, eventually i'd sleep to death.

:)
pnw

it's not bad... it gets hard near the end of the week... especially if you want to go out friday night... and your exhausted ... thats why i like to go to bed early thursday night, and wake up late friday... that way I'm well rested for friday night.. hehe:D

Reactions: compwiz1202

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Originally posted by paulwhannel
it is said that albert einstein, later in his life, developed a system of 2-3 hour napping when he felt tired, and working the rest of the time, so he never had long sleeps...

i think leonardo da vinci did something similar to this. more like sleep 20 minutes every 4 hours. maybe it helped his creative process by not having to worry about something as insignificant as sleeping when you feel tired.

i would like to take a nap during my lunch break. but i would get cranky for the rest of the day.

here's a picture of da vinci as a woman::D

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Peoples biorhythms work on a 4-hourly pattern. If you get a multiple of 4 hours of sleep (i.e. 4, 8, 12, etc) you feel more refreshed than if you slept out of that sequence (i.e. 3, 9, 11, etc).

It's a method used to great advantage during big ocean-going yacht races - such as the Whitbread Round-The-World race - where a crew would "shift-change" every 5 hours (and considering it would take around a half an hour to get out of your wet kit - and to put it back on - there's where you get your 4 hours of rest).

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by MrMacman
Indeed what do you call the formerly oldest person in the world...

:rolleyes: :confused:

i don't think there is a word for it

just "formerly oldest person in the world".

skymac

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2003
Toronto,On
Originally posted by FightTheFuture
i think leonardo da vinci did something similar to this. more like sleep 20 minutes every 4 hours. maybe it helped his creative process by not having to worry about something as insignificant as sleeping when you feel tired.

There was an episode of Seinfeld when Kramer tried to do that but it did'nt work very well and he ended up in the hudson river. it was very funny.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by skymac
There was an episode of Seinfeld when Kramer tried to do that but it did'nt work very well and he ended up in the hudson river. it was very funny.

That was a great episode

I once heard from my teacher when we were doing how people learn, that if you sleep less then 3 hours your legally insane... any takers?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
I one that needs my 8 hours of sleep. So according to kiwi_the_iwik I'm Ok with my biorhythms.

Now I wonder who has the title of the oldest person in the world. Here is a former still one of the oldest in the world, Jeanne Louise Calment was born in Arles, France on February 21, 1875 was 122 when she died in 1997.

http://www.wowzone.com/calment.htm

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by wdlove
I one that needs my 8 hours of sleep. So according to kiwi_the_iwik I'm Ok with my biorhythms.

Now I wonder who has the title of the oldest person in the world. Here is a former still one of the oldest in the world, Jeanne Louise Calment was born in Arles, France on February 21, 1875 was 122 when she died in 1997.

http://www.wowzone.com/calment.htm

now there was a women that could say she's seen it all

2 world wars, korea, vietnam, rise and fall of communism in russia, the tv, the radio the computer

what am i saying, those happened when she was well into her 30 early 40 and beyond

wow, thats incredible

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i knew a guy who did the da vinci sleeping schedule for years... at least 3 years.

he slept for 15 min. every 4 hours. that's an hour and a half sleep a day.

he worked on getting multiple PhD's, last i remember, he had two PhD's, and about 5 Masters degrees. and most of the time while he was in school, he worked full time for a company. his only requirement was that the company be flexible in his work hours... :rolleyes:

he didn't have an apartment - if you need only 15 min. of peace to sleep every few hours, who needs bed? he slept in his car, office, etc. and used rec. center's shower...

he was a strange guy indeed, but was pretty healthy. he wasn't exactly sleep deprived...

Reactions: PhoenixDown

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i want to be the oldest person in the world one day. maybe by next year i can be! if i work hard enough on my aging machine, i can fulfill my dream!

who is the new oldest person in the world now and how old are they?

Reactions: compwiz1202

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I read an article in Discover Magazine about the aging process. We are gaining about two years per decade to life expectancy. Scientists debate whether we will be able to sustain it (most of the gain is from treating early age disease and later heart failure) or if geriatric care is leveling off. Some say children born today may live to 150 and beyond.

Very interesting article. It's the cover story of the current issue, if anyone is interested.

Dan

Originally posted by alset
We are gaining about two years per decade to life expectancy...(most of the gain is from treating early age disease and later heart failure)... Dan

I wonder how much of it is simply due to third world countries gaining access to the technologies in medicine that we already have. In the future, will "really old people" be any older than the "really old people" of today, or will poorer countries just start living closer to todays average, thus brining the average up? The U.S. even has some catching up to do, as Europeans seem to live longer. Then, when the U.S. catches up, those of us in Kentucky will catch up ten to fifteen years later.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
as a side remark... according to the japanese news on this, the previously oldest person in the world (who recently passes away) was born in the same town as the previous, previously oldest person in the world (who died a while ago)...

hmm... they are from a town in kagoshima in kyushu - the western most main island in japan.

traditionally, okinawans - which is further southwest - are known to have long life... people in japan did some research and found that okinawans living away from okinawa don't live any longer than others, perhaps indicating that the lifestyle and diet has more to do with longevity than genetics...

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Originally posted by revenuee
I once heard from my teacher when we were doing how people learn, that if you sleep less then 3 hours your legally insane... any takers?

I can only say that the people I know, or know of, that regularly get so little sleep are indeed a little....odd. I think less of that comes from the sleep deprivation and more from the fact that they are alone too much with their own thoughts while the world around them sleeps. Sooner or later this seems to lead to a peculiar disconnect from the things and thoughts of everyday people, but I'd hestitate to call it insanity.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Peoples biorhythms work on a 4-hourly pattern. If you get a multiple of 4 hours of sleep (i.e. 4, 8, 12, etc) you feel more refreshed than if you slept out of that sequence (i.e. 3, 9, 11, etc).

Too bad "biorythms" is a meta-physical term/theory. From the psychological persepective biorythms are a load of crap (no offense meant mind you). The theory of biorythms is based mainly on the idea of a 24 hour day, and our socialization into the rituals involving the standardized day. Which is a fallacy. Now Circadian rythms are another thing, and we know that the body operates on a 25 hour day. But really this is neither here nor there seeing we are talking about sleep. While you sleep your brain moves through stages that cycle throughout the night. From alpha (lightest sleep) to REM sleep (deepest/dreaming sleep). This cycle takes from 2-3 hours with longer REM periods being toward the morning hours. If you nap, it should be no shorter than 2 hours or you can actually make yourself feel worse by waking during a REM cycle, which is what happens when you wake with an alarm clock and you feel REALLY groggy or dreamed images superimpose on reality.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by TimDaddy
I wonder how much of it is simply due to third world countries gaining access to the technologies in medicine that we already have.

To clarify: We gain about two years per decade in America; third world countries are not included in that statistic.

Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.