Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Mar 13, 2008, 05:01 PM   #1
mamcx
macrumors regular

How feasible use python instead of objective-c

I have 10+ years of programing experience and know well enough python, .net, javascript, delphi, foxpro, xml and sql dialects of sql server, firebird & others...

I plan develop on the iphone. I have no big problems unserstanding the syntax of objective-c, at least is not c++! - but always hate the c-derivate languages.

The experience tell me that anything that you can do in a c-derivate language can you do in a language with better syntax, using only a hand and being blind while a couple of terrorist attact on you.

Anyway....

I see at pyObjc and know exist a port to iphone. I wonder if is a good idea try with this instead of go directly to Obj-c.

I build bussines/db oriented apps, no math or graphic intensive.

My worry is the license about not use a scripting language, but maybe is only for downloading of code and not embeb it with not changes at runtime??

Also, I can expect problems in debugging or deployment? I alwasy love delphi because is the only tool with no deployment nigthmares... so I learn that for a consumer app the easy of deployment is a king. I not mind have a complicated setup procedure if is transparent to the end-user, but I live by the mantra of find dependencies and eliminate them when possible.

If is not a good idea, at least is not java!
mamcx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 09:14 PM   #2
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

I think you're better off just learning Objective-C directly. It will make everything so much easier in the long run I imagine.
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 05:30 AM   #3
pigoz
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to pigoz
Python-Cocoa helped me to undestand a lot about the Cocoa mechanisms. When I started to be serious about Cocoa, I switched to Objective-C 2. That is very powerful, I actually write less code with it than with Python.

Properties synthetization has a big impact on the amount of the code you have to write, and the synthax in general is cleaner (wrapped-method invocation tends to be a mess in python).
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:49 AM   #4
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamcx View Post
I have 10+ years of programing experience and know well enough python, .net, javascript, delphi, foxpro, xml and sql dialects of sql server, firebird & others...

I plan develop on the iphone. I have no big problems unserstanding the syntax of objective-c, at least is not c++! - but always hate the c-derivate languages.

The experience tell me that anything that you can do in a c-derivate language can you do in a language with better syntax, using only a hand and being blind while a couple of terrorist attact on you.

Anyway....

I see at pyObjc and know exist a port to iphone. I wonder if is a good idea try with this instead of go directly to Obj-c.

I build bussines/db oriented apps, no math or graphic intensive.

My worry is the license about not use a scripting language, but maybe is only for downloading of code and not embeb it with not changes at runtime??

Also, I can expect problems in debugging or deployment? I alwasy love delphi because is the only tool with no deployment nigthmares... so I learn that for a consumer app the easy of deployment is a king. I not mind have a complicated setup procedure if is transparent to the end-user, but I live by the mantra of find dependencies and eliminate them when possible.

If is not a good idea, at least is not java!
First off deployment is not an issue. You send your binary to Apple and they handle everything.

I think you are right that if you included the interpeter inside the binary and the Python code to be interpeted is also inside the binary and there was no way for an end user to load more code then maybe you will be OK with Apple. But then how big is your binary if it has to include Phython. Also remember this phone has a very low end CPU. I think phones always will because a slow processor will always use less battery power. Fromthe users's point of view they are going to want a native (not interpeted) app. It will be smaler and faster
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 03:29 PM   #5
mamcx
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoz View Post
Properties synthetization has a big impact on the amount of the code you have to write, and the synthax in general is cleaner (wrapped-method invocation tends to be a mess in python).
You have a example of that? To me is very difficult to see how can a C code be more compact than a python one...
mamcx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming