Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Nov 1, 2003, 11:14 PM   #1
makaveli
macrumors newbie

My First Question...What to buy??

Hey Everyone, This is my first time on this Mac Forum. I have a question and I would love to get some feedback: I am in school for music production and I am looking to get a laptop. I dont want to shell out a lot now so Im pretty set on the ibook. I will most likely get the powerbook within a year or two. Should I get a 12inch G4 ibook with 640 ram, 40 gig hd or a 14 inch with the same configuration? Does the 2 inches make a $200 difference? I dont know if the screen is just magnified or if you actually gain 2 inches, which would be useful for protools, reason, etc.. Also, by saving the $200 i will get an ipod right away, instead of waiting a couple months. Suggestions please......Thanks a lot in advance.
makaveli is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2003, 11:36 PM   #2
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Re: My First Question...What to buy??

Quote:
Originally posted by makaveli
Hey Everyone, This is my first time on this Mac Forum. I have a question and I would love to get some feedback: I am in school for music production and I am looking to get a laptop. I dont want to shell out a lot now so Im pretty set on the ibook. I will most likely get the powerbook within a year or two. Should I get a 12inch G4 ibook with 640 ram, 40 gig hd or a 14 inch with the same configuration? Does the 2 inches make a $200 difference? I dont know if the screen is just magnified or if you actually gain 2 inches, which would be useful for protools, reason, etc.. Also, by saving the $200 i will get an ipod right away, instead of waiting a couple months. Suggestions please......Thanks a lot in advance.

the 12 and the 14 both have the same res so you don't gain any more screen space w/the 14 everything just looks bigger than it does on the 12.

Lethal
LethalWolfe is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2003, 11:42 PM   #3
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Re: My First Question...What to buy??

Quote:
Originally posted by makaveli

the 12 and the 14 both have the same res so you don't gain any more screen space w/the 14 everything just looks bigger than it does on the 12.

Lethal
LethalWolfe is offline   0
Old Nov 2, 2003, 12:08 AM   #4
Rezet
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Rezet
It's the matter of my opinion, but I think 14" ibooks look plain ugly.

If you set for ibook and need mobility above anything, get 12".

The Matrix Online. The Beta testing has begun.
Join us, Red Pill. For more info: The Matrix Online
Rezet is offline   0
Old Nov 2, 2003, 01:31 AM   #5
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

for the first time, however, the 14" is not only bigger, but has better specs. Processor speed goes up to 1 Ghz on the 14" ibook and only 800 mhz on the 12".

also, is audio line-in important to you (considering what you're studying)? If so, you need a powerbook, since ibooks do not have that feature.
Old Nov 2, 2003, 03:34 AM   #6
beefcake
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to beefcake
If you decide to go with the iBook, get the 12". The screen resolution is the same so all you get by paying more for the 14" is slightly better specs, but they don't make up for the fact that the 12" is much more mobile.
beefcake is offline   0
Old Nov 2, 2003, 06:44 AM   #7
manitoubalck
Banned

You have to consider what software you wish to be running and wheater or not it is optimised for PowerPC or x86 processors. The new iBook is not a bad buy but don't discount other manufactures. Also remember that alot of the better music programs are now release for windows because the market is so much larger.

Also it is easier to obtain boot-leg copies of windows based software than apple based software. If your a student you probably can't afford the $1300US for a copy of Steinberg Nuendo Recording Software, when the computer your looking to buy is around the $1000 mark.
Good luck.
manitoubalck is offline   0
Old Nov 2, 2003, 06:42 PM   #8
makaveli
macrumors newbie

Thanx for some of the responses. I am still looking at all options but Im 100% certain it will be Apple. A lot of the programs I have and/or want run best on Apple. I was just confused on how the 14inch and 12 inch compare, because almost every report I read just says that you don't gain any room...everything just looks bigger.
makaveli is offline   0
Old Nov 2, 2003, 08:34 PM   #9
solvs
macrumors 601

You do know that as a student, you can get get educational discounts on hardware and software, right? And apply for Apple Education Loans? You can get a 12" PowerBook or 14" iBook for $1399. Third party RAM, etc. You can get a PC, but... do you really want to?

Edit: and yeah, the res is 1024 x 768, just looks bigger with the 14. But you can always hook up an external monitor. The iBook requires a hack, but it's easy to do and works fine at higher res.

Last edited by solvs; Nov 2, 2003 at 08:38 PM.
solvs is offline   0
Old Nov 2, 2003, 09:44 PM   #10
mactastic
macrumors 68040

So we can still hack the video card to do monitor spanning on this generation of iBooks? Thats really the only thing I really need it to have before I get one.
Old Nov 2, 2003, 09:53 PM   #11
solvs
macrumors 601

Yeah, http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ has all the info. Search around for it, lots of info. I just posted something about this here.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers