Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 13, 2008, 07:27 PM   #1
Dany M
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Dany M Send a message via MSN to Dany M Send a message via Yahoo to Dany M
Can't empty iphoto trash, 30,000 some files

Uh, can anyone help. i "deleted" these files but they are still in the iphoto trash, when i try to click on empty trash and click yes, it freezes.

Help?
Dany M is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 08:01 PM   #2
pazreal
macrumors regular

Can you select smaller amounts at time to empty? That may help from overwhelming the purge.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 11:56 PM   #3
hookem12387
macrumors 6502

Is there a seperate iphoto trashcan? I'm sort of confused, sorry
hookem12387 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 04:46 PM   #4
Dany M
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Dany M Send a message via MSN to Dany M Send a message via Yahoo to Dany M
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem12387 View Post
Is there a seperate iphoto trashcan? I'm sort of confused, sorry
Apparently there is and all the pictures are in trash and I can't view it either or it freezes.
Dany M is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 08:03 PM   #5
psydbound
macrumors newbie

Same Deal

I am going through the same thing. It freezes when I try to empty the trash can. Dragging them to the trashcan on the desktop does not work either.
psydbound is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 08:04 PM   #6
Gray-Wolf
macrumors 68030

Send a message via MSN to Gray-Wolf
Try putting them in a plain folder where they are, and then send it to the trash. One or more could be locked.

Also, open finder, and use the "secure empty trash button"
Old Feb 21, 2009, 08:59 PM   #7
sickmacdoc
macrumors 68020

OK, I just messed around with this and found a couple of potential solutions for you to try.

Since we don't know if iPhoto is freezing because of the unimaginably large # of photos you want to dump or an internal problem, the first step would be to try to empty the iPhoto trash (which yes, is a separate trash) when booted into another user account on your Mac.

If that fails, then the next step would be to delete the iPhoto preferences file and try again to empty. The pref file for it can be be found at Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.plist

Last suggestion is that if you open the iPhoto trash by clicking the trashcan in the left hand pane of iPhoto it will show you all the items in the trash. Highlighting a boat load of them (click the first one to highlight, then scroll down quite a ways and then shift+click one which will select all between those two points) and then selecting the "Photos--->Restore to Photo Library" will remove those from the trash. Perhaps after a bunch were removed it might be able to empty, at which time you could re-trash the ones that were moved back to the Library and empty a second (or third or fourth....) time.

Realistically though, it might just be easier to export (File-->Export) the ones that you want to keep. With 30K being thrown away, I have to guess you would be keeping less than that. One they were exported you could just set up a new iPhoto library (by holding Option at the startup of iPhoto) and just reimport them to the new library. Then just delete the old library.

Oh - as always, back up everything before you start!
sickmacdoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 09:43 PM   #8
lotsofstuff
macrumors newbie

Go to the picture folder, go into iphoto and delete pictures
lotsofstuff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 01:24 AM   #9
Angelsunshyn1
macrumors newbie

Difficult but works

This might be extremely difficult for you based on the amount of files you have to delete but I have a workaround. I too have this problem; I prefer to use RAW images which create a larger file. As a result, if I try to delete more than 15 images, the program will freeze. What I do is create an event to store the files that need to be deleted and then delete a few, then empty trash, then delete a few more, then empty the trash again. You might have to restore a few photos at a time, go through and find the restored images and then put them into a new event. This will be tedious but it's the best way that I've found.
Angelsunshyn1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:52 PM   #10
kfrancis
macrumors newbie

thanks!

i was having a hard time emptying about 5,000 pictures and this advice worked for me:

"... then the next step would be to delete the iPhoto preferences file and try again to empty. The pref file for it can be be found at Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.plist"
kfrancis is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store