Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neutral Gamer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
So I bought my mum a DS the other week as a Mother's Day (in England anyway) present after the Nintendo TV adverts instructing me to do so worked their way surpisingly well into my subconscious!

Naturally I bought Brain Training with it and despite the fact that I seem to be playing it more than she does(!) she seems to be enjoying it. So what else is there that you lot think she'd like or have bought for your own mums / moms?

She's a complete technophobe so any games suggested would have to have a simple user interface and be extremely easy to understand and get to grips with. I've thought about the other "Training" games like Maths and Sight but it'd be nice to get her something different.

Cheers :)

P.S. I've already ordered New Super Mario Bros. and the Zelda game, ahem, for my mum obviously ... :D
P.S.2 One thing I've always wondered about; is mum spelt with a capital 'm' or not?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Brain Age/Brain Training is the easy one :)

Maybe Nintendogs?

Maybe a minigame package like Clubhouse games.

New Super Mario Bros is a maybe. It's a platformer, which might be hard for her, but it's the simplest form of platformer using the D-pad and only two buttons, so she might be able to handle it.

Elite Beat Agents is another maybe. The quirky style might be too much for her, and the game might be too fast...but then again, she might love it. Look at all the casuals who love Guitar Hero.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
WarioWare Touched! is a quirky little game that uses the touch screen to full advantage. Of course, your mom has to have a sense of humor since some of the mini-games are a bit off the wall. My wife loves that game and the Brain Age and Big Brain Academy games.
Tetris is always great, too, unless you're spatially challenged.:)

Neutral Gamer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Maybe Nintendogs?

New Super Mario Bros is a maybe.

Yeah, a game looking after a dog seems straight to the point, I'll ask her what she thinks about that one - the TV ads make it look pretty cool. I can't wait to play New Super Mario Bros. myself; I remember reading all the favoursome reviews when it first came out. I'll try and get her to play that and see how far she gets before giving up ... !

WarioWare Touched! is a quirky little game that uses the touch screen to full advantage. Of course, your mom has to have a sense of humor since some of the mini-games are a bit off the wall.

I remember playing one of the WarioWare games on my mate's Game Boy Advance a year or two ago and it was pretty damn good fun I have to admit. If I help out her out in terms of telling her what she needs to do for each of the mini games if she can't figure it out then it could prove to be a winner.

Also what about the Animal Crossing game? They always show girls playing that on the ads - anyone know whether it would be suitable for a mum though?

Thanks for the help. :)

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
...Also what about the Animal Crossing game? They always show girls playing that on the ads - anyone know whether it would be suitable for a mum though?..

Although it's a charming game, Animal Crossing does require putting a lot of time into - and something you ideally need to spend time on everyday.

GFLPraxis made a very shrewd suggestion about Clubhouse Games – I think that would be a good one to get.

Picross is rather good if she’s into puzzles.

If my own silver-haired mum is anything to go by, you can’t go wrong with Tetris.

Neutral Gamer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Although it's a charming game, Animal Crossing does require putting a lot of time into - and something you ideally need to spend time on everyday.

GFLPraxis made a very shrewd suggestion about Clubhouse Games – I think that would be a good one to get.

If my own silver-haired mum is anything to go by, you can’t go wrong with Tetris.

Yeah, over the last few days I've checked out the reviews of Clubhouse Games and with 42 games to choose from, and all of them using the touch interface, I'm sure there'd be something my mum would find to her liking.

And yep, Tetris is a classic - I'm pretty sure even my mum would be able to pick that one up!

Cheers. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.