Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:05 AM   #1
darkpixie08
macrumors member

Getting HBO/Showtime Shows onto AppleTV

Is there any way to get programs that I've recorded via my DirectTV box onto my ATV? I know there is the EyeTV, but from the looks of it, it can't record encrypted channels like HBO or Showtime. Is there any way to do this via Slingbox, and another program (i.e. have Slingbox send the file to my computer and make a duplicate on my computer) or some other program, or am I just S.O.L.? Thanks.
darkpixie08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:25 AM   #2
Jimmdean
macrumors 6502

EyeTV is still your best bet - you'd need to send the SVHS or composite out from the DirecTV into the breakout adapter on the EyeTV hybrid or plus. Encryption doesn't matter here - the DirecTV box has already decrypted it. Obviously this is only for standard definition. If you need HD, it's a whole different story.
Jimmdean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:43 AM   #3
roland.g
macrumors 603

a. A DV Bridge like a Canopus ADVC-110 or a Camcorder with a DV bridge mode. Hook up the Monitor Out on the TV to the Bridge/Camcorder, firewire that to your Mac. Use iMovie to capture the show as you play it on your TV. Edit. Export to Quicktime at desired settings. Add to iTunes. Delete iMovie project.

b. Wait for DVD to come out. Buy.

a. takes more time and energy. I've done it with things I've DVR'd but only stuff that is somewhat rare, ie. not coming out on DVD.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater